Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 PM

31 posts, read 81,713 times

Advertisements

Ok here it goes. HI,

I'm going to be a new realestate sales professional. Next week I start my course to pass the exam to get my license.

I'm well aware of the market right now, that is why I'm getting into it. I just have a strong intuition its right and a good time since its slow and I can learn during this slow period so when it gains momentum, I'll be ready. I'm prepared.

Reason, simple. I'm sick of relying on employers. I've had jobs, like many of you. Recently, I was laid off from my job back in Nov of 08 with the promise of being recalled in April or May. I was there for four years. Never happened. I'm on unemployment and it sucks, fun for a few months now its boring.

While looking for jobs I kept seeing this ad for new realeastate agents at a Century 21 brokerage. I ignored it at first, but every week I would see this ad and wonder why, in this economic down turn, would a realestate broker, well many Century 21 brokers in different towns--would recruit new agents, and is there something I'm missing. It jumped at me and I had an interview that went well, signed some paper, she would sponsor me so I'm taking the course. Apparently median homes are selling in my area.

I took their online tests, that indicated that I was right for the job before even calling. I took it three times.

I took the course about 7 years ago but never did anything with it. I guess I was always thinking of getting into realestate but doubted my ability but this time seems right.

I'm reading several books, on first year of realestate and Selling with Soul. That is a couple of books dealing with first year in realestate. I plan to succeed, understand that I wont make 100k the first year, shooting for at least 30k maybe 40k.

So are there any suggestions, advice, rememberances of your first year?
Stories.

I plan to work it at least 40 hours during the week including weekends and get a parttime job for the other time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Here's the deal. You need to interview not only brokers, but associates of the respective firms. See what kind of training is available and how effective it is with newbies...

I recommend that you interview, but not necessarily sign on with a RE/MAX broker. In time, you will want to join RE/MAX. Just avoid the hype. Muhammad Ali, the boxer never had to use hype, nor does RE/MAX. Nothing fancy, just plane ol' solid professional agent support.

Never, ever allow yourself to fully trust what a competitor says or a recruiter either for that matter. "Trust, but verify"

Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Use your instincts, listen to everything, believe very little of it and move on forward.
Learn your contract law inside/out. Learn the procedures inside out. Get your own trusted contacts for the peripheral work (inspectors, contracts, title companies, attorney if you are in an attorney state). Get your OWN name out there, don't rely on the company leads. Do our OWN website, don't rely on the company website...because when you realize you really have a knack for this, really want to pursue it, you can walk out the door either to be on your own or with another company without a hitch.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:18 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Good luck, you have the right attitude. Don't plan on any money for quite awhile, and don't let that get you down. Make progress every day towards that first deal. Plan on doing open houses every weekend indefinitely, that will be your best source of leads and make sure everybody you know knows that you are in the business. Don't expect/hope that your friends or close associates will use you, they probably won't as they know you are new and don't let that get you down. Most importantly have fun and keep up a positive attitude, run from the negative Nates!

Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Quote:
run from the negative Nates
Definately. And run from those that just brag about how well they are doing, trying to bring you down.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
But cling to (o.k., maybe that's not the best word) those who are successful and willing to help. This business is a lot harder than it looks, and those who are truly successful will not hesitate to help somebody new who is willing to listen and work hard. It's a two way street and you may be able to help them with technology and social networking, don't hesitate to offer your expertise there.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Here's the deal. Just avoid the hype. Muhammad Ali, the boxer never had to use hype, nor does RE/MAX.
This just cracked me up! Muhammad Ali never had to use hype? Are you kidding? Yeah, he could box. No doubt. But he was a marketer's dream come true. Good looking, talented, lots of smack talkin'. Ali was surrounded by hype from his "float like a butterfly" poems to his "relationship" with Howard Cosell.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,043,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Cent21 View Post
Ok here it goes. HI,

I'm going to be a new realestate sales professional. Next week I start my course to pass the exam to get my license.

I'm well aware of the market right now, that is why I'm getting into it. I just have a strong intuition its right and a good time since its slow and I can learn during this slow period so when it gains momentum, I'll be ready. I'm prepared.

Reason, simple. I'm sick of relying on employers. I've had jobs, like many of you. Recently, I was laid off from my job back in Nov of 08 with the promise of being recalled in April or May. I was there for four years. Never happened. I'm on unemployment and it sucks, fun for a few months now its boring.

While looking for jobs I kept seeing this ad for new realeastate agents at a Century 21 brokerage. I ignored it at first, but every week I would see this ad and wonder why, in this economic down turn, would a realestate broker, well many Century 21 brokers in different towns--would recruit new agents, and is there something I'm missing. It jumped at me and I had an interview that went well, signed some paper, she would sponsor me so I'm taking the course. Apparently median homes are selling in my area.

I took their online tests, that indicated that I was right for the job before even calling. I took it three times.

I took the course about 7 years ago but never did anything with it. I guess I was always thinking of getting into realestate but doubted my ability but this time seems right.

I'm reading several books, on first year of realestate and Selling with Soul. That is a couple of books dealing with first year in realestate. I plan to succeed, understand that I wont make 100k the first year, shooting for at least 30k maybe 40k.

So are there any suggestions, advice, rememberances of your first year?
Stories.

I plan to work it at least 40 hours during the week including weekends and get a parttime job for the other time.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Here's the deal. You need to interview not only brokers, but associates of the respective firms. See what kind of training is available and how effective it is with newbies...

I recommend that you interview, but not necessarily sign on with a RE/MAX broker. In time, you will want to join RE/MAX. Just avoid the hype. Muhammad Ali, theboxer never had to use hype, nor does RE/MAX. Nothing fancy, just plane ol' solid professional agent support.

Never, ever allow yourself to fully trust what a competitor says or a recruiter either for that matter. "Trust, but verify"
Well, Tom, guess this is where we're going to disagree, because I don't think C21's ads, etc. are 'hype' - pretty straight forward. I do agree though to talk to C21 agents and get feedback on the system and a particular brokerage. Didn't see anything in OP original post about RE/MAX to begin with, so not sure about the 'never allow yourself to fully trust what a competitor says' comment was about - just that he saw C21 Ads. I think for OP the most important thing is to find the system, whether C21, KW, Prudential, ERA, RE/MAX etc. (and the 'specific' brokerage) that is 'right for him' - and considering the C21 Broker was willing to sponsor him . . . well, that sounds like a good Broker and C21 does offer great support systems and tools for their agents. Also, and with all due respect, RE/MAX's 'hype' is what turned me off on the system when I was first being recruited - obviously not everyone else, but it certainly did me. Everyone is different, thank God. Be pretty boring if we were all the same.

OP needs to find where 'he' will feel more at home, where he will get the support 'he' needs. Regarding C21, considering we are the largest WW franchise in the world, the first say into China in 2000 when RE/MAX only opened offices there I believe 6 or 7 years later and in Central America we were also the first WW franchise into the Region and are definitely the dominate franchise here, well . . . . Point being, the OP needs to find the place that's 'right for him'.

Now onto his question and as it pertains stories about newbies in the beginning - my first closing was almost a disaster because the Saturday b4 a Monday closing my client, the buyer, said he thought his mortgage broker was ripping him off; and if he showed up on Monday and still felt that way he was walking away from closing. I begged him to let me push back closing so he wouldn't jeopardize his EM and we could locate a new MB, but he said 'well me and my attorney will be there so show up if you want." Needless to say I did show up and brought my managing broker with me as he was very supportive to all, but most especially new BAs. (took me 2 days to get everyone back to the closing table and my buyer ended up using the same darn mortgage broker who he thought was ripping him off - go figure) Afterwards my managing broker told me in 15 years he'd never seen a closing like that and patted me on the back; though to be quite honest, I still had him come with me for my next 2 closings simply because my first one was so insane. But he would have come to every one if I or any other BA needed him to.

It's called support and, again, the OP simply needs to evaluate - look past any hype- what systems offers their agents and find the place where 'he' will grow and prosper. That's the most important thing, IMO, to be successful combined with a lot of hard work. And OP, keep reading those books. I did the same thing while I was taking my classes and learned a lot, certainly not everything, but a lot from reading good books especially for newbies to the profession. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times
Did you learn upfront all you are required to "pay", ie, invest in yourself to get started in this business? MLS fees, company fees, lockbox fees, office fees, sign fees, your "personal" fees payable monthly to the company. E & O insurance...upgrade on your auto insurance. And by the way, you are now your employer so you will be paying all the taxes, medicare, self employment taxes, and insurance all by yourself. Ever notice that none of the stimulus payments include those of us who are self-employed. I don't believe new agents are ever straight-talked about the costs of being in this business. However, if you feel you are investing in yourself....then go for it. Just have a true financial picture and you won't be disappointed. By the way....no one in your office will ever buy a house from you, so keep that in mind.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
If you're going to interview with some franchises, you should also talk to an independent broker as well. Some of us do quite well in certain markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals