Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:06 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has a standard for the color coding of fire hydrants based on tested water flow. Red is for 250 GPM or less, Yellow 251-500 GPM, Green 501-750 GPM and Blue 750 GPM+

One should definitely check with the local fire authority before painting a hydrant.
Hmm . . . mine is silver. Wonder what that means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 12:57 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Shoot, I certainly wouldn't be upset by having a working fire hydrant on my property. I actually bought my late H a fire hydrant (on eBay - the shipping was nutz!) for his 65th birthday. He installed it right in the middle of the front lawn 'cause he wanted to show it off!

Old 09-19-2015, 03:37 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
They recently painted the fire hydrant across from my house, and I thought, "how pretty." I wouldn't be too vexed about that, unless I needed the parking badly. It's a nice safety feature.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:51 PM

248 posts, read 342,662 times
I'll take your hydrant on my front lawn, right in front of the house! Our house is 700 feet from the road and then it's another 400 feet or so and across a road to the nearest hydrant. I worry about the FD being able to easily get water up here.

A nearby town has no town water and no hydrants, they rely tanker trucks, scary.

If you are in the north, be sure to shovel the hydrant out after each storm. Sometimes I have to walk all the way down there with my shovel because the folks in the houses very close to the hydrant don't always do it and it takes days and days for the FD or public works to get to every hydrant in town.

I would not consider a hydrant in front of the house a bad thing if I were house shopping, but rather a point in that house's favor.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Hmm . . . mine is silver. Wonder what that means?
Silver is reflective. Easier to locate at night.

Many departments are repainting silver and then "coding" the top with approrpiate color paint.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
The city normally owns the land between the sidewalk and curb. You get to maintain and mow it, they get to put water meters and hydrants anywhere they want in those areas.

Pull out your survey and see if you own that land. Even if you do there will be an easement.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
So what. Unless there is only street parking in your neighborhood you won't be able to park in front of your home, otherwise when you go to sell use it as a positive and tell people if there is ever a fire the hydrant is right in front of the home.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:01 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
The last home I owned was in a neighborhood with fire hydrants throughout. Only the joke was on the homeowners and the insurers........the hydrants were not hooked up to anything. The builders put them in with the idea of the community when finished would convert to county water. Well, a recession hit and all good plans went down the drain and it became a community Well and Sewer system. Fortunately, the volunteer (and paid) firefighters were well aware of the situation, fortunately, we were on a major river inlet and the county had numerous pumper trucks. One February morning, this proved to be challenging as fire spread through the neighborhood.

One home destroyed, many acres scorched in Occoquan Forest blaze - Richmond Times-Dispatch: News

I wouldn't be happy either with a hydrant dead center where there was once none. Do double-check easements. Do double-check the requirements to move a hydrant. Do double-check if the necessary permissions were granted. I'v seen municipality workers make unilateral decisions without consulting anyone, both in the homeowner's favor and not in their favor. If in doubt, get a survey. One thing is for certain, if you don't speak up, ain't nothing going to happen.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:14 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
One thing to consider is that if it was a "Mistake" and it should have gone back to where it was, then they may indeed move it, if it was a "Contractor" mistake. Not may Cities run their own water mains, and its usually contracted out. The Contractor may have put it there because it saves them money for their mistake. The City could force him to fix the mistake and put it back where it was. Don't just roll over and play dead, to save them money. If nothing can be done, you have not lost a thing.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
The last home I owned was in a neighborhood with fire hydrants throughout. Only the joke was on the homeowners and the insurers........the hydrants were not hooked up to anything. The builders put them in with the idea of the community when finished would convert to county water. Well, a recession hit and all good plans went down the drain and it became a community Well and Sewer system. Fortunately, the volunteer (and paid) firefighters were well aware of the situation, fortunately, we were on a major river inlet and the county had numerous pumper trucks. One February morning, this proved to be challenging as fire spread through the neighborhood.

One home destroyed, many acres scorched in Occoquan Forest blaze - Richmond Times-Dispatch: News

I wouldn't be happy either with a hydrant dead center where there was once none. Do double-check easements. Do double-check the requirements to move a hydrant. Do double-check if the necessary permissions were granted. I'v seen municipality workers make unilateral decisions without consulting anyone, both in the homeowner's favor and not in their favor. If in doubt, get a survey. One thing is for certain, if you don't speak up, ain't nothing going to happen.

Good post. Never roll over and play dead. That's how rights and freedoms are lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals