Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times

Advertisements

I would not expect to bring in my own clients to see my house(as their buying agent), but I would like to be on the MLS and to get a fair percentage as listing agent. I agree acting as double agent would be too tricky. I would love to sell my parents home as well as way to gain presence, its a really cool house and I could meet some interesting people at open houses, etc.

I was aware of the "REO" added to the listing if an agent owns the property. Are people suspicious of this? It should not be a bad thing because realtors usually are more realistic about what properties are worth, but some might fear that the realtor/owner is crafty and will somehow pull something over on them. I am a super honest person, so being viewed in that light will be new for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I would not expect to bring in my own clients to see my house(as their buying agent), but I would like to be on the MLS and to get a fair percentage as listing agent. I agree acting as double agent would be too tricky. I would love to sell my parents home as well as way to gain presence, its a really cool house and I could meet some interesting people at open houses, etc.

I was aware of the "REO" added to the listing if an agent owns the property. Are people suspicious of this? It should not be a bad thing because realtors usually are more realistic about what properties are worth, but some might fear that the realtor/owner is crafty and will somehow pull something over on them. I am a super honest person, so being viewed in that light will be new for me.

You don't want to put REO on your listings -- that mean Real Estate Owned, as in bank-owned foreclosure properties. You also might not want to be paid a commission on the sale because that's taxable income. If it's your primary residence, just work your profit on the sale price. My broker has a policy that we can each do 2 "free" sales per year with our own properties and not have to pay any broker fees. You might also want to check on E & O insurance coverage when you list your own properties. Sometimes it's better to let another trusted agent in your office list the properties for a smaller percentage and relive yourself of any liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals