Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times

Advertisements

I think there are bad apples that make us all look bad. I love what I do because I have the opportunity to help people and can make a decent living doing things I like doing...but sometimes I feel like the biggest sucker for doing this everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Do the standards need to be raised to become a realtor?

In the New Jersey forum, it seems like we are constantly being bashed. Are you seeing the same type of disrespect on your local area forums?

We even have one thread titled "I Hate Realtors". Do you think good, ethical realtors are in the minority in our field? Or are a few of the bad apples giving us all a bad reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
Those in here who are saying the perception of realtors would be higher if the real estate market wasn't in the tank are not correct in my opinion.

Please refer back about 4-5 years when the market was red hot and realtors were simply sticking a sign in a front yard, taking a few lousy photos, loading them onto the MLS, then going back to the office to play solitare to sell a house within a few days.

What happened then is John Q public was getting mad that the realtor was walking away with so much of their juice without doing anything or possessing any special skills, so same perception problem, probably worse.

The perception problem doesn't lie in the fact that sellers are not able to sell their homes, it lies in the fact that most of the people they hire to do the job do not possess any professional skills, therefore are not able to crerate any value to the end customer.

I stand by my statement that raising the barriers to entry would "weed out" the part timers, un committed, as well as most of the derelicts in this profession who do not know their own craft. What would be left behind is a group of professionals that possess the skills necessary to convey real value to their customers/clients, therefore creating a much higher perception of the profession as a whole. Realtors themselves should be pushing for this IMO...

Old 10-07-2009, 05:17 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
Realtors themselves should be pushing for this IMO...

Many are...It is in the interest of the NAR to have as many members as possible. More money.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Many are...It is in the interest of the NAR to have as many members as possible. More money.

Most professions have trade associations. There are even trade associations for trade associations. Many trade associations also have PACs.

Trade associations live and die by their numbers. It is not in the best interest of any trade association to create standards that preclude the majority.

States, not trade associations, license professionals. PACs influence government.

Some PACs are stronger than others.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most professions have trade associations. There are even trade associations for trade associations. Many trade associations also have PACs.

Trade associations live and die by their numbers. It is not in the best interest of any trade association to create standards that preclude the majority.

States, not trade associations, license professionals. PACs influence government.

Some PACs are stronger than others.

The REALTOR associations have powerful PAC's. It is not in the best interest for the REALTOR associations to have lower numbers and they lobby hard and successfully to keep standards low.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The REALTOR associations have powerful PAC's. It is not in the best interest for the REALTOR associations to have lower numbers and they lobby hard and successfully to keep standards low.
Political Action Committees (PACs) began in 1944. They raise "hard" money for the express purpose of defeating or electing candidates. There are limits on how much money an individual can contribute to a PAC and on how much a PAC can contribute to a candidate or a party. PACs must register with the Federal Election Commission.

Top Three PAC political contributions:

1) NAR ( RPAC)
2) National Beer Wholesalers Association
3) National Association of Home Builders

Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Political Action Committees (PACs) began in 1944. They raise "hard" money for the express purpose of defeating or electing candidates. There are limits on how much money an individual can contribute to a PAC and on how much a PAC can contribute to a candidate or a party. PACs must register with the Federal Election Commission.

Top Three PAC political contributions:

1) NAR ( RPAC)
2) National Beer Wholesalers Association
3) National Association of Home Builders

Dang maybe we need to have more beer served at open houses...

I didn't realize the NAHB PAC was that big. What I think is crazy is that relatively speaking, I think membership in the NAR is relatively cheap. Even if there were 50% less real estate agents, and NAR charged twice as much to fund everything, I still think that would be better for our industry. Fewer agents doing more transactions can afford a doubled fee. They would be better agents because they would be doing more business regularly.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
The top 3 do not surprise me since I believe the home builders as a group purchase the largest amount of beer, per trade anyway. Not many job sites without the coolers or subs that are not working for beer money.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Dang maybe we need to have more beer served at open houses...

I didn't realize the NAHB PAC was that big. What I think is crazy is that relatively speaking, I think membership in the NAR is relatively cheap. Even if there were 50% less real estate agents, and NAR charged twice as much to fund everything, I still think that would be better for our industry. Fewer agents doing more transactions can afford a doubled fee. They would be better agents because they would be doing more business regularly.
You know I agree with you.

It's also about the numbers, the so-called voices of 1 million , blah, blah, blah.

On the positive side...without NAR and affiliated state trade associations and real estate boards, most states would not have the educational requirements/tests that they do. This is all relatively new stuff for most states. The grandfather period exempting agents licensed before X date recently expired, in my own state. For the first time ever, all agents were required to fulfill CE requirements.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
The top 3 do not surprise me since I believe the home builders as a group purchase the largest amount of beer, per trade anyway. Not many job sites without the coolers or subs that are not working for beer money.
Would that be " building America, one bottle at a time" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals