Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,774 times

Advertisements

For those of you that are real estate agents..
Do you think that to be successful you need to be an outgoing and social person?
I just received my real estate license and went to my second meeting at the broker's office in which I will be working. As I was listening to the top producers I noticed that they all were outgoing and not afraid to talk to anyone.
I have been hesitant about this career choice from the beginning but now I really think I have made a mistake.
I am not a social person, I only enjoy talking with people in small groups or individually. You would never catch me at a party with more than 20 people.
So you tell me, is it necessary to be an outgoing person in this business to be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,783,384 times
It takes several things to be successful
  • Sincerity
  • Honesty
  • Professionalism
  • Ability to build meaningful relationships with people
  • Ability to communicate well
  • A thick skin, so as to be able to accept rejection
  • A strong work ethic, long hard hours
  • Willingness to study and really learn this business. It is much more difficult than people outside the business realize.
  • Ability to say I don't know, but I will get the answer.
Like you, I am also more comfortable with small groups of people that I know. However, I also have done speeches to large groups of people. The key there is to know your subject well and prepare.

You will learn to meet people at social gatherings. Do not push yourself as a realtor on them. Build relationships by getting to know many people and learning how to listen to them.

When you meet someone at a social gathering, don't even think about telling them you are a realtor. Think about finding out who they are; what they do; what they need. They will ask you later what you do.

Try to help them solve their problems. If they are a business person, try to funnel business to them. Any time you meet someone who needs something that you know another contact has, put them together.

People will recognize you as someone who cares about them, and when they know someone who needs a referral, they will think of you, that realtor who helped them solve a problem. They will not think of the realtor that is always asking them for referrals but has never done something for them.

So continue to build relationships one at a time.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
It takes several things to be successful
  • Sincerity
  • Honesty
  • Professionalism
  • Ability to build meaningful relationships with people
  • Ability to communicate well
  • A thick skin, so as to be able to accept rejection
  • A strong work ethic, long hard hours
  • Willingness to study and really learn this business. It is much more difficult than people outside the business realize.
  • Ability to say I don't know, but I will get the answer.
Like you, I am also more comfortable with small groups of people that I know. However, I also have done speeches to large groups of people. The key there is to know your subject well and prepare.

You will learn to meet people at social gatherings. Do not push yourself as a realtor on them. Build relationships by getting to know many people and learning how to listen to them.

When you meet someone at a social gathering, don't even think about telling them you are a realtor. Think about finding out who they are; what they do; what they need. They will ask you later what you do.

Try to help them solve their problems. If they are a business person, try to funnel business to them. Any time you meet someone who needs something that you know another contact has, put them together.

People will recognize you as someone who cares about them, and when they know someone who needs a referral, they will think of you, that realtor who helped them solve a problem. They will not think of the realtor that is always asking them for referrals but has never done something for them.

So continue to build relationships one at a time.
That is good to hear
Thank you!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Gee, Bill, I went to a large Chamber of Commerce social tonight and my opener was, "Hey! Do you want to buy a house?"

But I said it smo-o-o-oooooth and professional-like...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,695 times
The key is to be yourself. If you try to "act" outgoing and you classically are not, then people will be able to see through you. I guarantee you most of these top producers didn't start out with that personality, it came from time. It came from hard marketing and doing some of the things that no one likes to do in the beginning such as get in front of people, call people, talk to total strangers. The reason why 20% of the agents sell 80% of the homes is because the other 80% of agents want the business to come to them.

Be professional, be honest, tell them what the need to hear and not what they want to hear, they will respect you for that even if they don't like the message. If you do that, your confidence will come in time, and so will your referrals.

Derek

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM

631 posts, read 2,446,515 times
I agree with all of the above. Points to everyone!

I am extremely shy but my buyers would never know it. I'm in my element when they want to talk about real estate and land. They are now in my comfort zone.

I was trained to ACT like someone else. I could not do that. I was told I would never make it in the business because I'm "too honest". I decided if I have to act like someone else and lie on top of that, real estate is not for me.

Thru perseverance, learning the ropes, studying my trade, knowing my inventory, being honest and hardworking I've managed to make a living in real estate quite well and I love it.

Working for a developer it took 5 sales people combined to sell as much as me alone. I was Half his selling staff. I knew every property for sale like the back of my hand, I was the first one to work and the last one to leave. I cared about the buyers and what they wanted.

I get feedback from shoppers I've spent time with about other brokers they've spent time with. They don't like the used car salesmen personality's and high pressure approach. They hate seeing land with brokers who don't know where the corners and boundary lines are, or even where the land is, or just give them a map to figure it out for themselves. They also cancel contracts or won't do one with agents who don't understand the damn contract or what the heck their selling.

The bottom line is, unless you are just a completely annoying person, don't try to be like someone else in your office. Stand above and learn from the top sellers. Ignore the bottom sellers.

Statistics have shown shy people with a higher emotional IQ fair better in sales than type A personalities. Beats me where I seen that, but common sense, likeability, hard working and honesty are the key. KNOW your inventory , know your contracts, and be yourself (if your likeable) !

Tooting my own horn, I've been very successful in real estate. Far above many I know.

I hate social functions and avoid them at all costs. Finally after 6 years I agreed to make a Christmas party with my boyfriend. They didn't believe he really had a girlfriend, then I finally agreed to go. Hated it. Will go again next year as it's just once a year.

I know one girl that really could not talk to people in person or on the phone. It took her a long time to overcome her shortcomings, but she did very well thru email and ended up being top salesperson in her office because she could communicate thru email. She was scared to ask for a phone number or call people back if they gave her a phone #.

We learn to overcome our shortcomings with our stronger advantages of our own people skills. I do well on the phone, in person and email only because they are now in "my backyard" of real estate. As soon as they invite me to a social function, I have a meltdown and avoid it at all cost.

Since you're asking and care, I think you'll do just fine. Good luck in the business.

Care about your buyers and listen to them. Ask questions as we're not mind readers!
Think HELP. You're there to Help them. Help them figure it out.

People see fake and don't like it.

Goodluck and be yourself!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:27 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,783,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Gee, Bill, I went to a large Chamber of Commerce social tonight and my opener was, "Hey! Do you want to buy a house?"

But I said it smo-o-o-oooooth and professional-like...
You're just an ol' smoothie Mike.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
You might also look on this as a challenge to you to broaden your horizons. Toastmasters has an excellent public speaking program you might find enjoyable.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum on shyness. Most of the time I need to tone it down.

(There! I said it! No comments from the rest of you)

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,434,951 times
Most of my clients like me because I'm not loud, pushy ,very opinioned or tell them what they want to hear like most agents that they have dealt with in the past.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Most of my clients like me because I'm not loud, pushy ,very opinioned or tell them what they want to hear like most agents that they have dealt with in the past.
That is what I am hoping for myself, being not everyone likes the same personality maybe I can offer a different experience for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
You might also look on this as a challenge to you to broaden your horizons. Toastmasters has an excellent public speaking program you might find enjoyable.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum on shyness. Most of the time I need to tone it down.

(There! I said it! No comments from the rest of you)
Lucky you! I always wish I was the super outgoing type.

I like your idea about Toastmasters I think that could really help me.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals