Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM

191 posts, read 697,764 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a friend who's a real estate agent pick out a new camera for her to use to shoot her listings and was hoping to get an idea of what other agents prefer to use. She is not mechanically inclined so a dslr wouldn't work - ideally a point and shoot that is simple to use, has image stabilization and wide angle capability 24-25mm that takes great pictures - anything up to $500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
You need to go down to 18mm to get decent bedroom shots, preferably 16mm. I'd say hire a professional to shoot her pictures for her.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You need to go down to 18mm to get decent bedroom shots, preferably 16mm. I'd say hire a professional to shoot her pictures for her.
I know - but unfortunately that's not an option. She's in New Orleans where nothing is selling and extra funds aren't there. Also her partner is the photographer but his pictures are awful (doesn't take underwear out of the shots etc) so she needs to take over that task (and not tell him).

We have a Canon 20D with basic zoom lens that we're considering giving her as a gift but she would have to pick up a wide angle lens and we'd have to set it up on auto for her but that might wind up being more than she can handle.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 PM

637 posts, read 3,235,968 times
You will need two things to take good photos of homes. A good wide angle lense, and a good external flash to give the necessary light to take the shots. Also; you will need to know the correct way to actually use these items. Once you have the equipment and can grasp how to use it properly you will be on the way taking better photos than John Q realtor...

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
I know - but unfortunately that's not an option. She's in New Orleans where nothing is selling and extra funds aren't there. Also her partner is the photographer but his pictures are awful (doesn't take underwear out of the shots etc) so she needs to take over that task (and not tell him).

We have a Canon 20D with basic zoom lens that we're considering giving her as a gift but she would have to pick up a wide angle lens and we'd have to set it up on auto for her but that might wind up being more than she can handle.

You know what its $125 out here for tons of shots by a pro, $75 for 10 shots. Have her skip newspaper ads for a week. Seriously, this is really important to good marketing. A point and shoot won't cut it. The flash is just not good enough for interior photos. It's not.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
One of the better cameras that has a good wide angle lens and useful if clunky external flash is the Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, and it is barely under $500.

Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3 Review Samples Gallery: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/panasoniclx3_samples/ - broken link)

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
I have the Panasonic Lumix FX500, not 18mm, but not bad at 25mm. Easy to carry and have handy. Here's a link to newegg $239.99.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 PM

No need to worry about flash - we're giving her a lighting kit leftover from when my boyfriend had a photography studio. I understand about real estate marketing and the importance of good images - I create and send her flyers for her, that's why we're trying to help her out with taking better pictures because I've seen the pictures her partner has been taking and something needs to be done -- he is extremely stubborn and won't accept advice so the best we can do is set her up to take better photos knowing that neither one of them will hire a professional, that's just the reality of it. We're also trying to help her understand real estate marketing better (my BF is an internet marketer who is very familiar with real estate specific needs) and what steps she should take to increase visibility and sales but its baby steps with her!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Not really, I use a 10D and it's still pretty much basic point & shoot. She can pick up a pretty good mid-wide range lens that goes with the camera and do a great job.

She might need an additional flash with the wide angle lens.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM

304 posts, read 931,076 times
Quote:
I'm helping a friend who's a real estate agent pick out a new camera for her to use to shoot her listings and was hoping to get an idea of what other agents prefer to use. She is not mechanically inclined so a dslr wouldn't work - ideally a point and shoot that is simple to use, has image stabilization and wide angle capability 24-25mm that takes great pictures - anything up to $500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The best one I have seen is a full size Olympus digital with wide angle lens. The stores will know. Probably more than $500.

Wide angle in this biz needs to be 28mm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals