Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,032,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
And then??? And then??? (gotta ask! )

LOL Well, the first thing I did was snatch (yes snatch lol) the contract off the attorneys desk, put on my reading glasses (you could hear a pin drop), noticed where one of the 'sellers' had marked off where they would receive payment upon formal transfer by the Public Registry and had put an 'exact date' (and down here final proceeds on titled land not held in a corporation are NOT disbursed until the Public Registry formally stamps off on the transfer - the contract isn't even valid until that point).

So I look at this lame attorney and say "X, my understanding is that no contract in Panama is valid until the Public Registry formally transfers the land, correct?" In a very quiet voice he said, "Yes you are correct" lol then I said 'then put it back in the contract that proceeds will be disbursed upon . . . '. Saw some other things they had tried to change, which I called them on to change back and, Karma being what it is, their greed got the best of them. The contract had a clause about improvements and was worded incorrectly and no one but me caught it (course I didn't say anything - just smiled on the inside). Anyway cost the sellers (benefited our clients) to the tune of $4k

When everything said and done and after everyone had left the office, I leaned over his desk and told him he'd better never try that crap with any of our clients again and he was officially on my list. Love seeing someone who normally struts around all arrogant cower in their chair especially when I'm 5'4, around 105lbs soaking wet LOL But I used to be a paralegal in the states before real estate and you work with litigators, cops, detectives, etc long enough, well - let's just say I can put the fear of God into someone with just a lol

So that's what happened next. Needless to say he is not on my list of recommended attorneys and when we have a transaction where the other party involved has hired him, I know what to expect and make him jump through all kinds of hoops - I have a verrrrrrrrry long memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,270,927 times
I can't think of very many real estate agents that have any business being construction managers (which is what you basically had them do for you). As for less than perfect work done, the person doing the work should have to go back and get it done correctly. I agree with the OP about having someone say the work is good to go and paying for it and then having it not be up to snuff creates a certain amount of liability on the part of the person approving the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals