Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:34 AM

242 posts, read 1,018,368 times

Advertisements

I bought my home a little less than 2 years ago. The previous owners renovated but never lived in the house, your basic 'buy and flip'.

I am now selling the home as I need to relocate. My listing agent just notified me that they have pulled all the records for the home on file with the city and that there are some open permits that the previous owners never had completed. From what my agent said, they applied for and were granted the permits but never had the work inspected and permits closed out. My agent also said that they are required to detail any open permits on the property diclosure statement.

My question, does the fact that the previous owners did not disclose these open permits nullify my purchase agreement with them? Do I have a basis to sue to get my money back and transfer ownership back to them?

Thanks for any input regarding this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Title searches do not look for open permits. You would have had to have requested an open permit search. A permit remains attached to the property. You need to contact an attorney to see what your options are. Is the work done so poorly that you could not have it inspected and get the permit closed?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
My question, does the fact that the previous owners did not disclose these open permits nullify my purchase agreement with them? Do I have a basis to sue to get my money back and transfer ownership back to them?
You need to establish if the failure to close out the permits constitues a breach of the purchase agreement. Read the purchase agreement and Seller Disclosures and see if there is language pertaining to this situation.

Have you called the city to find out what it would take to close out the permits? It may be no big deal. I'd have the city out to have a look and go from there. I assume you had the property inspected by your own inspector when you purchased it, so any glaring defects or code violations should have turned up then. It may be a matter of a couple of phone calls and a couple of hours of your time. Not worth getting worked up about.

If it ends up costing a significant amount, especially if defects have to be cured, take care of it and then send a 10-day demand letter to the former owner seeking reimbursement for your time and cost. If they don't pay, take it to small claims court.

I'm not an attorney and the above does not constitute legal advise. Call your attorney if starts getting complicated.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM

413 posts, read 1,588,745 times
Having been in the title insurenace industry for many years in New York, all lenders require a Building Department search in order to disclose those open permits. The lender will NOT lend on any property that has open permits on it. Again, in NY if the permits were not disclosed when you bought, then it becomes your problem to clear them. Every state/municipality is different as to their requirements for closing out permits. My feeling is that if the house was "flipped" there may be a fiar amount of paperwork/cost involved in clearing these permits

Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Did you purchase owners title insurance when you purchased the home? If so, I would contact them to see if they can help clear this up.

If you purchased owners title, you would have recieved the binder after closing in the mail. Hopefully, you will remember where you put it : )

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals