Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 15,307 times

Advertisements

We just recieved our VA Appraisal report and they are saying there are a few repairs to be made.

The seller refuses to do any repairs.

My question is, Does the seller have to allow us access to the property in order to do the repairs?

We offered to do the repairs so that we can close on the house.

If we are not allowed to do the repairs is the sell just voided? Are we just out our money for the inpsection and appraisal?

Please let me know if anyone knows the answer, the wait is just killing me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM

15,487 posts, read 40,178,438 times
The seller is under no obligation to do any repairs. They have no legal obligation to have you do repairs on their home. Why they'd want to blow a deal is beyond me, but it is their house.

Typically in this case the sale fails because the house won't qualify for financing. At least in Oregon, you'd get your earnest money back and be out inspection and appraisal fees. That's why it is extremely important for folks doing VA loans to work with agents that do a lot of them. We know what to look for to avoid this exact situation.

I even got a bank to do repairs I knew would come up on an appraisal because I pre-negotiated those repairs.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,024,797 times
In the State of Georgia, we have something called the "Responsibility to Cooperate". It basically states that all parties agree to, in a timely manner, fulfill all terms of the contract. So even if the Seller(s) refuse to make the repairs, the guidelines of your VA Loan require for the item(s) to be repaired prior to closing.

What does the Listing Agent say about allowing access? It seems like a win-win situation for the Seller. The repairs are paid by the Buyer and they still get to close. If the Seller doesn't cooperate, then you would be out your appraisal and inspection fees in most cases and the contract would be null and void.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 15,307 times
We are still waiting on an answer. We were told that the seller wouldn't do the repairs and we told our Realtor that we would do the repairs ourselves. She called and let the other agent know and we are waiting on her approval to let us go and do the repairs.

I am in Louisiana. Do you know if there is a "Responsibility to Cooperate" in my state?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,024,797 times
Sorry - I have no idea what the contract states in the state of Louisiana. My best guess would be yes. Check with your Agent and/or the copy of the offer you made.

Like Silverfall and I stated, I don't know why the Seller wouldn't cooperate as it's no money out of their own pocket.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM

15,487 posts, read 40,178,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
In the State of Georgia, we have something called the "Responsibility to Cooperate".
I learned something new today. I can see this clause being helpful in situations like these.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,525,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
...Like Silverfall and I stated, I don't know why the Seller wouldn't cooperate as it's no money out of their own pocket.
I recently negotiated with a bank seller to allow my client access for minor FHA repairs. They had to sign a letter stating they would not be reimbursed for any repair costs if house did not close, had to be supervised by listing agent, and had to use a licensed contractor. Fortunately they had a friend that was licensed and helped to do the repairs. Got repairs done and house closed.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 969 times
After I bought house basement needs $6,000 basement repair. Is it to late to do anything?

Old 08-15-2018, 04:11 PM

14,304 posts, read 11,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles russ View Post
After I bought house basement needs $6,000 basement repair. Is it to late to do anything?

This seems like a situation completely unrelated to the old thread you posted on. I would post your own new thread to get better answers to your situation.

Answers you get here may end up mixed in with discussion about the prior post which might be confusing.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,513,903 times
If a seller is not willing to make repairs and offers the house "as is" an agent should not write a VA or FHA contract. I wold never advise a buyer to make the repairs themselves be fore closing. The only exception is if the lender allows a certain amount to remain in escrow until repairs are made by the buyer after close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals