Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Home Warranties are not something I would try to use as an excuse for my commission, IF the buyer wanted one, they could negotiate that in the deal with the seller. Home Warranties generally less than $500... so the commission on a $250K home at 6% is: $15,000 (selling agent would get roughly $3750). same home at 5% is: $12,500 (selling agents would get $3125). This $500 warranty is actually costing the seller $2,500. hmmmmm, NOT a good deal. JMO, and that is how I always presented it!

Plus, if the property is priced correctly, you do NOT have to throw in fluff, again that is something that can be negotiated.
Thanks for the honesty, MYHomeIsInOcala, and that does make perfect sense. I think each deal has to be custom-tailored to each seller.....what's important to one is not important to the next - realtors can be flexible and create a commission structure/frills that works for each client.

Yes, I agree - pricing the home properly is the most important above all. Realtors who are saavy have their ear to the ground - what's selling, what's not, what the trends are....this is valuable info and a realtor who is sharp and has accuracy in proper pricing should flourish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I honestly feel that this a thinly veiled attempt by the original poster to drum up some business and highlight herself as fantastic real estate agent amidst a bunch of dolts.

Does no one else see this?

Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I heard a lot of negative things about Buy owner. You think it is cheap but the have for every step a different amount that you have to pay upfront. I made a call onces and they kept calling and calling me even after I had told them i wouldn't use them and I had asked them not to call me again. They had someone else call me from the same company.
I meant a real FSBO on which you only pay a little amount without any catch. Just to have your house on a website and get a little help. Taht is working great. Just get a lawyer, title company and a home inspector.
Of cause there are good realtors out there. In my street one owner has been using almost all the big names in realtor/brokers to get his house sold. Just now after 1,5 year one realtor held the first open house. The house price has been down with $ 50,000.- and the realtor came to my door and asked if a potential buyer would come to the open house, if the buyer could see my house aswell. Strange question since my house in not on the market.
My neighbor used at least 6 different brokers/realtors. All they did was nothing.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thanks for the honesty, MYHomeIsInOcala, and that does make perfect sense. I think each deal has to be custom-tailored to each seller.....what's important to one is not important to the next - realtors can be flexible and create a commission structure/frills that works for each client.

Yes, I agree - pricing the home properly is the most important above all. Realtors who are saavy have their ear to the ground - what's selling, what's not, what the trends are....this is valuable info and a realtor who is sharp and has accuracy in proper pricing should flourish.
That may be the single most dishonest thing realtors do. They will lie to you about what they think they can get for the property. Once they have you signed up in no time they come back like it is some big surprise and start trying to get you to lower your price. Not that if they were honest in the first place it would have made any difference as to the final selling price but they want to be sure they lock up the listing so they put on the BS optimism about your property.

They know the truth but tell you what they know you want to hear. Their main thing is getting you to sign. How does a house get listed and in a month or two their dropping the price by $50,000 if the realtor didn't lie to the seller? You would just like the smallest grain of honestly which they don't seem to be capable of.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM

627 posts, read 2,848,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That may be the single most dishonest thing realtors do. They will lie to you about what they think they can get for the property. Once they have you signed up in no time they come back like it is some big surprise and start trying to get you to lower your price. Not that if they were honest in the first place it would have made any difference as to the final selling price but they want to be sure they lock up the listing so they put on the BS optimism about your property.

They know the truth but tell you what they know you want to hear. Their main thing is getting you to sign. How does a house get listed and in a month or two their dropping the price by $50,000 if the realtor didn't lie to the seller? You would just like the smallest grain of honestly which they don't seem to be capable of.
This is a pet peeve of mine! BUT, you will have an owner call several agents for interviews and 9 times out of 10 they will take the agent who tosses out the HIGHEST List Price! No matter what! So, the agent telling Mr. Smith his home will sell for $175,900 is not going to get a call back when another agent says $219,900.

There is your crappy agent hard at work as the bottom feeder...

Back to the initial question, if Realtors want to improve...

• NEVER take on any OVER-PRICED Listing. It simply looks bad and creates hard feelings.
  • Be HONEST
  • Do CMA updates every 6 weeks (or sooner if the market is unstable)
  • Advertise the PROPERTY not Yourself fist! Your picture should not over shadow the listings. Set aside funds for your Personal Professional RE Marketing along with RE Listing Marketing
  • List the Property Address
  • List the Price
  • List at least 10 Photos
  • Give the Property Owner updates on showings/Broker Opens/Public Open Houses in a timely manner
  • Volunteer and get involved in your community
  • Be involved with Trustee and School Board Meetings

I am sure I can think of more, but you get the point.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Why do realtors even putting their pictures in the news paper. Are they trying to get famous? It will safe a lot of money if they put more pictures and more advertisement about the home and not about them self. That one more reason why i like FSBO. ephizz.com for example.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM

165 posts, read 656,897 times
My realtor came around every friday to let us know what was going on. I LIKE THAT WE WERE IN TOUCH A LOT It was less stressful for us like that.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why do realtors even putting their pictures in the news paper. Are they trying to get famous? It will safe a lot of money if they put more pictures and more advertisement about the home and not about them self. That one more reason why i like FSBO. ephizz.com for example.

Good point. Some have egos that are a definite turn-off.

sunny

Old 05-17-2007, 02:36 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

It has to do with marketing and branding.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:07 PM

79 posts, read 210,116 times
Thank you for your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals