Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM

164 posts, read 515,622 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing several MLS listings lately where the house is advertised in the prominent text as having 3 bedrooms. But in the "finer print", the listing says things such as:

1. 3rd bedroom needs heat source to be conforming; or
2. 3rd bedroom needs a closet and/or egress window to be conforming; or
3. 3rd bedroom was converted to a dining room but could become a 3rd bedroom again.

Where do you draw the line on when "a conforming 3rd bedroom is theoretically possible in this area" can ethically be advertised as a 3 bedroom house? And even if no ethical lines have been crossed, would you use 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom houses as comps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
My MLS requires us to use whatever the current legal number of bedrooms are when we enter the property information. Descriptive phrases like you cite are generally in the comments and usually are just used to help provide a clearer picture of what is actually there.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The comps would, ideally, have a similar configuration. Meaning that you would need to pull up the entire MLS descriptions of similar homes that had the same sorts of "notes".

As a practical matter many neighborhoods have a fair number or this types of properties -- some townhomes are even built in a such a way that the occupants can shift things around to use space as either a extra bedroom or den / dining room. The standards in such cases are thus pretty easy to see the value of staging the space as one thing or another.

Ethically there is no problem with spelling out the how things are configured vs what is technically legal. In certain climates you'd have to be insane to use an unheated porch as a bedroom. In no jurisidiction is it legal to use a room that has inadequate egress as a bedroom -- the potential for loss of life in a fire is something that one does not cross. If someone turned a closet into a nifty built-in sideboard with some trim carpentry it could also certainly be "switched back" in short order...

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
In our area it is if it has a closet and has to be able to be closed somehow although the door doesn't necessarily have to be 'on'. No closet, no bedroom. Me personally? If it's a two bedroom I enter it as such and then in the remarks make a notation what could be done to make it one...not the other way around. The reason being...it's annoying as heck as an agent looking for a three bedroom for a customer and I keep sending them two bedrooms that can be converted. It puts me in a bad light and I wouldn't want to do that to another agent. But. That's me.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times
A bedroom is a bedroom. A room with a closet. They can use it for whatever, but it should conform. We now have a classification in our MLS of "below grade bedrooms" and you can search for above or below grade bedrooms. But I know what you mean.... a porch called a bedroom....a former utility room, now called a bedroom. And, magically, there are no pictures of these rooms so you can see for yourself.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I once slept on an enclosed lanai.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
In some areas, basement rooms are not counted in the count. I've seen people on here post that they had a 2 bedroom house, with another bedroom in the basement. To me, that is a 3 bedroom house.

My definition is the same as palmcoasting's. A bedroom has a closet and a door (and I would add "is big enough to fit at least a day bed and dresser). Some people list an upstairs bonus room as a bedroom if they have used it as such. Some people list offices as bedrooms.

If a bedroom window doesn't meet egress, it is usually still listed as a bedroom in the count, but the lack is disclosed. I've never seen one that lacks a heat source, I wouldn't think that could be even included in the square foot count, let alone the bedroom count, but I guess that is climate dependant. As for a converted room, I would think it would depend how heavily it was converted. If a wall was removed, it isn't a bedroom anymore, but if they just took off the door and used it as a dining room, that's easy enough to change.

Of course, I've lived in a house with a 13x15 room with a walk in closet that was NOT a bedroom. It was right next to the front door, had floor to ceiling bookcases with a rolling ladder, short carpet (and hard surface where the ladder rolled) and was obviously an office. The assessor listed that house as a 9 bedroom. It had 6 that we used as such, so we listed it as a 6 bedroom. Point is that room counts can be somewhat variable.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:46 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawoftheLand View Post
I've been seeing several MLS listings lately where the house is advertised in the prominent text as having 3 bedrooms. But in the "finer print", the listing says things such as:

1. 3rd bedroom needs heat source to be conforming; or
2. 3rd bedroom needs a closet and/or egress window to be conforming; or
3. 3rd bedroom was converted to a dining room but could become a 3rd bedroom again.

Where do you draw the line on when "a conforming 3rd bedroom is theoretically possible in this area" can ethically be advertised as a 3 bedroom house? And even if no ethical lines have been crossed, would you use 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom houses as comps?
When 37 unemployed Realtors all live there?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
My MLS requires us to use whatever the current legal number of bedrooms are when we enter the property information. Descriptive phrases like you cite are generally in the comments and usually are just used to help provide a clearer picture of what is actually there.
Same on our MLS!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Sometimes in old houses there aren't any closets and we still call them bedrooms out here. It's more of a function thing. We do include bedrooms below grade as we have a lot of daylight basements around here. Out here, it depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals