Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 PM

42 posts, read 183,840 times

Advertisements

Do sales associates working for a big firm like Keller Williams need to have E and O insurance for themselves? Or does the firm provide it for them? How much would I usually expect to pay monthly for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post
Do sales associates working for a big firm like Keller Williams need to have E and O insurance for themselves? Or does the firm provide it for them? How much would I usually expect to pay monthly for it?

Each firm usually has their own policy. I pay $99/yr under my current company's policy. With another company I paid $100/yr.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I believe our current E & O runs about $30 a month, billed to us monthly.

Also, when my kids became teens and started driving i started carrying a $2Mil Umbrella policy. It's still in place years later and a wise investment for anyone in business. It is only a couple of hundred a year.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 AM

42 posts, read 183,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I believe our current E & O runs about $30 a month, billed to us monthly.

Also, when my kids became teens and started driving i started carrying a $2Mil Umbrella policy. It's still in place years later and a wise investment for anyone in business. It is only a couple of hundred a year.
Would you mind me asking which brokerage firm you both work with?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
You're covered under the brokerage's E&O. Unless you decide to do something else on your own, like property management, you don't have to have your own policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh View Post

Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
$99/yr??? NICE!! I was with one brokerage that charged us $599 per year. Obviously they were sued a lot or pocketing the extra money because we weren't savvy enough to know E&O doesn't cost that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Each firm usually has their own policy. I pay $99/yr under my current company's policy. With another company I paid $100/yr.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
$99/yr??? NICE!! I was with one brokerage that charged us $599 per year. Obviously they were sued a lot or pocketing the extra money because we weren't savvy enough to know E&O doesn't cost that much.
Our corporate folks are the ones who arrange ours and it's standard pricing for all agents.

Never being involved in the details, I wonder if it is like other insurance and has different coverage amounts, deductibles, etc that adjusts the prices of all other types of insurance?

Maybe that's why one company only pays $99 a year while another pays $599 a year ? You get what you pay for possibly ?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Depends on your area. Agents in the office where I work all are responsible to obtain their own E&O insurance. There is a recommended company that the Realtor Association contracts with for a discount, but you can use whoever you want.

The agents are billed annually in October, and it costs approximately $400 a year, I believe. The broker's is slightly more, plus the company itself has a policy for about $200 a year.

That $400 a year ballpark is pretty standard for agents in my area. Some brokers may require more or less of the additional coverages. I think the base coverage is about $350, but doesn't cover some things that it really should, so the broker at my company requires a couple of "extras".

I can't imagine a $99 a year policy being inclusive enough, unless it was a huge real estate company (like Re/Max)that required all agents to use it, thus getting a huge bulk deal.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
My company has E&O insurance that covers my broker in charge and myself.
The last company I worked for I had to pay $50.00 per transaction for the E&O insurance. I figured it out one day, she was making a BUNDLE off of all the closed transactions just on the E&O insurance, lol.
My policy right now cost appx $400 per year, that's for $500K of coverage. There are $250K coverages and $1K coverages so perhaps that is the difference in the pricing quoted above?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Location: Long Beach, MS--Harrison County, Mississippi Gulf Coast
34 posts, read 124,469 times
Real Estate Agents in Mississippi have to carry their own E&O insurance, whether they pay it outright or through a broker--each agent must be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals