Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times

Advertisements

My question of the day....When your buyer is looking for say a home with 5 acres do you start your MLS search at the 5 acres or do you put in 2+ to capture those with 4.75?
The reason I question this is, my place is listed with 3 on the MLS with add'l land up to 14 acres available. Recently we had another agent tell us that they had not seen this listing because of the way it is listed. We can not list it all ways, unfortunately, and there does not seem to be a best way to capture those wanting small acreage and those wanting larger acreage. It really is to bad we can't put in multiple listings when a place has options in the "farm" search....What do you all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
My MLS allows us two listings per listing to cover such scenarios. I had one listing that had an additional lot so we had two listings. One with the lot and the other without, with two different prices. I'd see if the MLS allows this where your agent is.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Our MLS allows one listing per category. The different categories are "Residential", "Residential Income", "Land", "Farm & Ranch", and "Commercial". So here, you could list the house with the small ground as Residential and the house with lots of ground as, say, Farm and Ranch, or just the additional ground as Land with a disclaimer that it must be sold in conjunction with MLS#xyz. Or all 3 ways.

If I am searching the MLS, I take whatever the minimum is that I'm looking for then go a bit below that. Our MLS has open fields for acreage, instead of just ranges, so I can say we want to look only at properties that say they are 2.75 to 4.25 acres, for example. So I wouldn't go 2+ unless 2+ is what was desired.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM

I always thought that you could list as stated above...My agent actually got into a "discussion" with the MLS office on this situation...no go. So she can only put it in one way and it has proven that it drops off a lot of searchs and is missed by agents. As of now you have to put the 2+ in to see the listing which has 3 acres but if someone wants 5+ and the agent plugs that number in then you miss it......Not sure which is the best way to put this now with just one choice. At the time no one was looking for larger parcels...are they now, who the heck knows.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:27 PM

178 posts, read 540,493 times
Just a question for Painter. Have you considered first listing it as the entire property with all acreage and a notation that you're willing to carve off just the house and 3 acres? I ask because I'm currently looking to buy and am turned off by listings that state "more acres available". It tells me that 1) the house is going to cost me a whole lot more if I do want the extra acres, and 2) if I buy it without the extra acres, I'm gambling on who the new neighbors will be and what they'll be doing (business? junkyard?) I'd rather buy in an established area than an evolving one. I think many people looking for countryside/farmland might feel that way.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM

That is the discussion I am having with my agent now. We had it that way originally but with first timers credit we reversed it due to the listing price. Now I am wondering if I should leave it or go back to the full parcel, and also trying to figure out which way it will get the most attention. Unfortunately there are not that many people looking in my area for this type of set up. This is why I am asking the pros here which way they do searches.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 24,915 times
Default This is the answer go to realtor.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Our MLS allows one listing per category. The different categories are "Residential", "Residential Income", "Land", "Farm & Ranch", and "Commercial". So here, you could list the house with the small ground as Residential and the house with lots of ground as, say, Farm and Ranch, or just the additional ground as Land with a disclaimer that it must be sold in conjunction with MLS#xyz. Or all 3 ways.

If I am searching the MLS, I take whatever the minimum is that I'm looking for then go a bit below that. Our MLS has open fields for acreage, instead of just ranges, so I can say we want to look only at properties that say they are 2.75 to 4.25 acres, for example. So I wouldn't go 2+ unless 2+ is what was desired.
"""Type in city or state and then go to more ways to search and type what your looking for and hit enter """ oh check-off only the boxs that apply because realtor will search for everything that is left checked boxs... If I could set down and show you something realtor has been doing for years...This is a money maker for anyone. Don't tell anyone about this because people will learn how to use it and you will be paperless....I started when I was 19 and I am 44 now and still use realtor.com oh realtor is free. sign up and start saving all you properties inside realtor....good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals