Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 PM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times

Advertisements

Can some one please explain this feedback to me? Needs work......
Paint to make it the color of your choice? Replacing appliances? Turning a house into your own home?

What do you consider "needs work" to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Its subjective and different for everyone. From the perspective of the buyer that gave you that feedback, they perceive some amount of work needed to make it suitable for them. Without asking for more detail, hard to say what they meant (unless it's obvious from looking at the house).

Old 06-09-2010, 12:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
In a listing if the property is described as "needs work" this is both a warning and an invitation.

The warning part is short hand for something along the lines of "go ahead and get an inspection but any fool can see that there are obvious areas needing maintenance".

The invitation part can be understood as "if you have the skills / money / time to put this place into good condition you will probably be getting a place far below what it others in the area sell for".

Of course if this is your property and folks that viewed it left those comments this is generally a sign that "this is not for us because we, like the majority of buyers, like things that are 'move in ready' even they are not exactly to our taste as we really have no desire to tell our friends / relatives "Come on over and see that dump of a place that we just bought and then come back in two years or so and see how we transformed it...".

Since it sounds like the feedback is on a property you are trying to sell my suggestion is to consider adding "handyman special" or similar phrase that will convey to potential buyers that you are not interested / capable of taking the time / money to make this place sparkle. In the event that the right buyer finds your place attractively priced it may work out well for both of you...

If you do have the time / money to do even simple things like make the place look as clean and well maintained as possible you almost certainly will be able to sell more quickly and for a better price. Now I would NOT recommend getting expensive new appliances, but if the ones you have are in really bad shape and they cannot be cleaned up / put in working order I would definitely go shopping at the scratch & dent outlet to get something that looks / works better. In the same spirit if you head down to the big orange box store and pick up a few gallons of paint in a nice up-to-date palette I can all but guarantee that you will get your investment back several fold. This is not so much about getting a particular color that one person really likes but about a getting a nice clean look that suggest the whole property has been well maintained and will be a great place to live...

Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Needs work is more than paint out here. It means that it is really dated, poorly maintained, or a combination of the two.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times
Thanks..........

The house isn't dated but does need a fresh GOOD paint job......... A paint job we just paid to have done that ended up coasting US dearly instead. I was also advised to paint it Antique White which makes it less "loved" and more generic then the colors we had, they were on the bolder side. We did rent that house for 2 years and the tenents did nothing but exist so maintenance was lacking but we thought we got the majority of it back up to par..........We also did drop the price 25,000 to compensate for the work or at least we thought it would...........

Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Can some one please explain this feedback to me? Needs work......
Paint to make it the color of your choice? Replacing appliances? Turning a house into your own home?

What do you consider "needs work" to be?
To me, "needs work" usually mean the house needs work in order to be up to the standard that you would find AT THAT PRICE POINT. It means different things at different price points.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
It means the buyer thinks your price is too high for the amount of work that needs to be done.

If this is true, based on the competition, your listing agent should have told you this from the get go. Telling seller what they may not want to hear, while trying to get hired, is tricky stuff.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 PM

118 posts, read 283,702 times
Needs work means simply that....needs work. If it only needed painting, or a new carpet, etc. it would say so. Needs work is code for "fixxer upper". Many realtors use this description because they don't want others to waste their time showing or viewing a home that they have no intention of improving. ALso, they don't want to hear the comments..."needs too much work"...they've already told you that.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 PM

75 posts, read 170,335 times
I would think it means "unfinished projects" perhaps? I often use the term "dated" when it doesn't seem like the owners have done any upgrades in ohhh twenty years... "Needs work" seems a little too ambiguous to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate