Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
...But if it is on his property, mind your own business.
I would hate a neighbor like you.
It may no longer be his property if a prescriptive easement applies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
It may no longer be his property if a prescriptive easement applies.
Ownership of an easement does not imply ownership of the fee title to property. My best guess is the OP may be entitled to have the rights of use, but ownership will probably remain with the neighbor who will probably have no recourse if the OP goes through proper channels to ensure he is fully entitled to the easement. But this is easier said than done and you can be sure the lawyers will win in the end.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Ownership of an easement does not imply ownership of the fee title to property. My best guess is the OP may be entitled to have the rights of use, but ownership will probably remain with the neighbor who will probably have no recourse if the OP goes through proper channels to ensure he is fully entitled to the easement. But this is easier said than done and you can be sure the lawyers will win in the end.
You are correct. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If the driveway has been there for sufficient period of time according to the laws of your state, he may have lost the right to do that. You need to talk to a real estate attorney in your area.

Yes, which is why people who get a new survey done and think a survey is " law of the land" are sometimes in for a big surprise and discover paying for the court costs defending that new survey will many times cost them a lot more than the survey did.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
This happened to me, sort of. I frequently visit a gas station outside my neighborhood. A house that is zoned commercial put up a privacy fence that literally extended to the street (4 lane road). After two or three times leaving the gas station and not being able to see on coming traffic, I complained to the planning department downtown. Sure enough the fence was taken down to 4 feet within about 10 ft of the street. About a week or two later the fence portion about 5 ft in from the street was removed (I assume after the inspector came back and notified them of set back rules).

Worked out in my favor as I drive a big truck and just wondered how people in "normal" size cars got out of there if I couldn't see. Hope all works out for you and that they have to lower or take the fence in (hopefully your town,city has some ordinances addressing this) as this is a safety issue.

With all that said, you have no right to tell a neighbor what to do with their property, as long as they follow the ordinances of the land.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think the issue is that the fence creates a safety issue. I would hate to have a neighbor who disregards safety issues.

The driveway was there before the OP.
yes, that's true, safety should always come first.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate