Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times

Advertisements

I posted a short time ago on this subject and there were quite a few that posted there will be no effect from the tax credit.

Check it out:

New-home sales plunge 33 pct with tax credits gone - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100623/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
There is already a thread on this but I will post again. New home sales only account for about for about 5% of total home sales.

Existing home sales were down 2.2% from April 2010 (5.79 million units) to May 2010 (5.66 million units) but were up 19.2% above May 2009 (4.75 million units).

A 2.2% decrease in May when people were pushing to get closed by April 30th is not a huge decrease. You need to wait and see what the next few months hold to be able to say what the affect was.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM

364 posts, read 826,734 times
I have been watching the market in Central NJ (08820 zip) since early 2009. Once the tax credit was enacted in first quarter of 2009, a lot of houses went under contracts very quickly.

Now it's been almost 2 months that tax credit expired. I saw only 2 went under contract since May 1st. Those 2 houses were priced very nice.

Now the inventory is slowly building and I am getting "priced reduced" email listing almost everyday.

Is that double dip that a lot of people are talking about? I guess so but again who knows for sure!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
It makes sense that NEW HOME sales would decline because of the tax credit. With a resale you are pretty sure that you can close the loan by June 30 (I know there have been exceptions). However, with a home that is still being built it is very unlikely that you could sign a contract in April and be closed by June.

In my area there is very little spec building going on so the home build would have to go from design to permit to built only 2 months. That is highly unlikely. So although the tax credit spurred activity in home sales, it spurred EXISTING home sales, not new home sales.

Plus-in many areas you simply cannot build as cheap as you can buy, even if the existing home needs a few repairs.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,858 times
Slow growth the past few months w/ the stock market seemed to ease fears as well as the "gains" in the past few months in RE.

Truth is that real estate runs this country, shown today after that all-time low RE number came out, very nearly a damn rout in the stock market.

delphi the double dip is coming another (wide margin) 10-20% drop ****ers.

Whitney Tilson's T2 Partners Unveils Latest Mega-Case Against Housing And The Homebuilders

^choice article from a bear****ter.

btw southeast/ gulf of mexico is the next badlands.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times
I would think the real answer will be 3-6 months from now if sales continue to decline. It makes complete sense that at least a few months of sales got pushed up because of the deadline. Another words those that planned on buying pushed it up to get the credit. There are also those that believe that pushed up prices and now is a better time to buy price wise.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
I don't see how it does NOT double dip... Everything is propped up by debt. It's borderline frightening.

In the short term I don't see why the downsizers can't continue to feed the lower price points, though. So it's more then feasible that things could bounce around for a while as the market looks to find a bottom. There will likely be plenty of opportunity to use statistics to tell either side of the story.

Eventually, though - the bill needs to actually get paid. Moving the debt around can only work for so long.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
There is already a thread on this but I will post again. New home sales only account for about for about 5% of total home sales.

Existing home sales were down 2.2% from April 2010 (5.79 million units) to May 2010 (5.66 million units) but were up 19.2% above May 2009 (4.75 million units).

A 2.2% decrease in May when people were pushing to get closed by April 30th is not a huge decrease. You need to wait and see what the next few months hold to be able to say what the affect was.
New house sales are counted when the contract is signed. Used house sales are counted when the house closes. This means there's a 1-2 month lag between the two numbers. In other words, your May used house sales happened at the same time as mini-boom in the March and April new house sales.

Wait until the July used house sales numbers to see the full effect of the housing welfare ending. That will be the data that includes a full month of contracts that closed without the buyers being paid to buy the house.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
New house sales are counted when the contract is signed. Used house sales are counted when the house closes. This means there's a 1-2 month lag between the two numbers. In other words, your May used house sales happened at the same time as mini-boom in the March and April new house sales.

Wait until the July used house sales numbers to see the full effect of the housing welfare ending. That will be the data that includes a full month of contracts that closed without the buyers being paid to buy the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If the new home sales are for contracts signed and not closed then this has really nothing at all to do with tax credit unless you are assuming they will be able to get the home built and closed in 2 months.

Bottom line is this thread was premature since as you have stated we will have to wait a few months to see what the affect is. Especially since as I have stated new home sales are are very small percentage of overall sales.
Filler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate