Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times

Advertisements

How do you not see that you can make a curved/angled driveway into a architectural feature? Picture all the pretty landscaping you can do to the right side of the driveway to block the electric box. Why would you think you would lose 3-6% value because of this feature?

It really sounds like buyers remorse for you to be this upset because your house will actually look different and unique and probably better than your neighbors'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
read the contract in detail, It may have a provision that if a natural or mandmade feature (beyond the control of the builder) causes them to have to alter the footprint layout or exterior design but the change does not substantually impact the use of the property, or reduces the property size, the contract may say you are agreeing to that in advance and won't hold the builder responsible. Guess the key is to know exactly what you signed.

But I got to say, some may think your blowing the driveway issue way out of proportion or making it sound worse than it it because as you said "Also, we wanted to flip home because morning room will get direct sun light in the morning, but they already get approved and land elevation from the city and can not change that." If its the driveway, stick to that or you can give people the wrong impression of what is really the problem.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,418,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
How do you not see that you can make a curved/angled driveway into a architectural feature? Picture all the pretty landscaping you can do to the right side of the driveway to block the electric box. Why would you think you would lose 3-6% value because of this feature?

It really sounds like buyers remorse for you to be this upset because your house will actually look different and unique and probably better than your neighbors'.
I wouldn't like the fact that the driveway will slant a good share of the way across the property. Looking at it from the street, it will look like more concrete than there is (although in my area, 3 car garages are pretty common, and that is way more concrete than you are talking here), and I think it will take a lot of nice landscaping to get back that curb appeal. Will the driveway slant past the front door? I think that would take away even more curb appeal, at least for me. I just don't like the fact that it is such a severe "across the property" angle. If there was some shape to it, it would be more appealing, but also harder to traverse.

To me, the biggest downside would be the one the OP mentioned, that the angle would make it more difficult to get to and from the garage. We have a rental with about a 10 degree angle on the driveway to get around a utility post, and tenants have backed into it 3 times, requiring the utility company to come out and repair the post. The current tenants ran it over on the day they moved in. Having an angle also makes it more likely that someone will run over a sprinkler head if you have any close to the driveway. That same unit, people have run over and broken sprinkler heads probably 20 times. We finally had to have the heads moved further in to the lawn.

So overall, I think there is a decrease in curb appeal, that may or may not be able to be overcome by nicer than average landscaping, but the inconvenience factor of having to make that angle every day would be the bigger factor for me.

As to whether or not it would decrease value, I don't think it would, but you might lose some potential buyers over it. Someone with a large vehicle might not be able to make the angle backing out of the garage. Others might just not want to deal with the angle. However, the extra nice landscaping you put in to compensate might be the reason someone else comes along to buy the property, who doesn't care about the angle. Value is different things to different people. What makes the house unlivable to one person might be exactly what attracts another person.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 PM

137 posts, read 614,056 times
From the picture I see, it is not curved or angled like this:

It is going diagonally, but still straight. That is NOT a nice architectural feature in my mind. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 AM

13 posts, read 12,913 times
Lakeforest - We are in the same boat and I was wondering what was the response from the builder and the final decision on this?

OR anyone who was or is in the same situation and wanted to share their experience please?

Old 08-25-2017, 01:35 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,883,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalak116 View Post
Lakeforest - We are in the same boat and I was wondering what was the response from the builder and the final decision on this?

OR anyone who was or is in the same situation and wanted to share their experience please?
The thread starter hasn't logged in in almost 5 years, my advice would be to start your own new thread outlining the predicament you're in

Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 664 times
City will move hydrant. But you'll probably pay a high cost. I've seen people get fire hydrants moved and neighborhood/community mail boxes moved. Highly doubtful that insurance rates will be lower if fire hydrant is on property...that's not a question that agents even ask.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
joined to search for "hydrant"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate