Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:59 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Really?
The Board of REALTORS® supports this?
Unbelievable.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/06/...t-homes-guess/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 AM

413 posts, read 301,872 times
Interesting. The digital age is eliminating eyesores. Why drive a car around a neighborhood looking for a house to buy when you can surf the net and not waste fuel?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Apparently there is a crap load of houses on the market and all those signs was scaring away potential sellers.

I can see it in high end neighborhoods. Brokers are sure giving up a lot of advertising.

And they possibly hurt someone trying to do a FSBO.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:38 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
Interesting. The digital age is eliminating eyesores. Why drive a car around a neighborhood looking for a house to buy when you can surf the net and not waste fuel?
Some people enjoy driving areas getting to know neighborhoods and cities when they are from out of town. It gives them a feel for the area.

Sitting behind a computer screen looking at fancy photos is only the start. How many times do we see on here how photos can be deceiving.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Apparently there is a crap load of houses on the market and all those signs was scaring away potential sellers.

I can see it in high end neighborhoods. Brokers are sure giving up a lot of advertising.

"Market Access" is a DOJ hot button.

The Board of REALTORS® and REALTOR® members would have done well to steer clear of supporting this mess.
I just recently sold a FSBO that my buyers and I saw when coming to the street to view another house. We saw the yard sign. It is not the first time.

We have a couple of neighborhoods where the covenants, enforced by HOA, dictate the exact color, size, fonts, etc, of yard signs. HOA makes a nickel selling the signs to agents.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:

The listings online have the address, you can still drive by and see them. I like the idea, and in our area signs are a waste of time and money anyway. Most are sold before the sign even goes up. If the realtors are in favor of it, clearly there is something in it for them. Most likely Rakin has given their reasoning. Buyers will shy away from a neighborhood where too many homes are for sale.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Sounds ripe for a first amendment challenge. I bought my current property after seeing a FSBO sign. You get the best deals on properties not listed on the internet or with a realtor in that area.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The listings online have the address, you can still drive by and see them. I like the idea, and in our area signs are a waste of time and money anyway. Most are sold before the sign even goes up. If the realtors are in favor of it, clearly there is something in it for them. Most likely Rakin has given their reasoning. Buyers will shy away from a neighborhood where too many homes are for sale.
The internet is better for lead capture than a sign is.

Sign drive-by buyers take down addresses and call their buyer's agent.
The internet lets the listing firm require registration after a few clicks.

I am not so accepting of the notion that sign pollution or taxes or too many properties for sale is behind this market restriction.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Sounds ripe for a first amendment challenge.

That was my first thought. They'll get around it by using a 6 month trial. If it becomes permanent, there will be a constitutional challenge.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Some people enjoy driving areas getting to know neighborhoods and cities when they are from out of town. It gives them a feel for the area.

Sitting behind a computer screen looking at fancy photos is only the start. How many times do we see on here how photos can be deceiving.
Not even deceiving...There's only so much they can convey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate