Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:14 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That's why I'm going to put in a white subway tile backsplash. I figure that won't go out of style for a long time if ever.
Yes, a safe option...what color/type of counters and cabinets are you doing? I did see a bit of advice from a designer that I might heed, and that is that white is the safest and least "trendy" cabinet color....she said she can always tell the era of the house by the type of wood on the cabinets. Soooo....I guess I could do white cabinets, white subway tile....oh, blahhh, I need SOME color...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, a safe option...what color/type of counters and cabinets are you doing? I did see a bit of advice from a designer that I might heed, and that is that white is the safest and least "trendy" cabinet color....she said she can always tell the era of the house by the type of wood on the cabinets. Soooo....I guess I could do white cabinets, white subway tile....oh, blahhh, I need SOME color...LOL.
Are you doing this as you are about to sell or do you plan on keeping the place for a while?

If you plan on keeping it i'd go with what you really want and be bold. A "blah" kitchen might be ok to keep it neutral for a sale, but i'd be willing to bet most would like something somewhat trendy over "safe"
Though if you keep it with the white cabinets and tile, but sure to counter it with a black granite counter top, stainless appliances and bold wall colors. I've seen a few like this and they turned out quite nice.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
My kitchen cabinets are painted white, no plans to change that though I might have them repainted at some point to freshen them up. My appliances are black and when I do have the floor replaced it will probably be in a warm earth-tone color.

My counters are sea foam green formica. They are probably 30+ years old and are coming to the end of their useful lifespan. I have not decided when to replace them or what to replace them with, but it will definitely not be granite or any kind of tile.

Personally I prefer my counters, floors, and cabinets to be neutral colors; that way I can change the look and feel easily with accessories and by painting the walls a different color.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 AM

409 posts, read 873,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
Again, really depends on the type of property. But for highrise condos in cities:

1) wall paper
2) carpet
3) crown molding (especially the ones with flower crap or patterns on it)
4) tiles in the kitchen (if open style kitchen), should be same hardwood floor used in the living room.
5) popcorn ceiling!!!
6) those bowl type wash basin in the bathroom...

Surprisingly stainless steel appliances seem to stay, although i know many old folks who hates them and prefer white appliances.
I totally agree with #6. I never liked those above the countertop sinks, not practical and very trendy. Also unless you are buying a top of the line house, I don't think glass sinks in the bathroom will last.

I disagree with your tile comment. In Texas anyway the trend is to tile all living arears with the same 18 or 22 inch title. I really like it. Much more practical than carpet or hardwood.

In the kitchen, I know some people of tired of it but I don't see granite going away. Unless its replace with some other stone or we run out of it. And I wonder how long the open kitchen and family room combo will last. I like it but it been in so long that sooner or later some powers that be will decide the "open concept" should be out.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I must be the only one on Earth that still likes popcorn ceilings. I like the different texture on the ceiling as opposed to the flat walls. I am still happy with mine, the are painted a very light beige color, and have moss green walls...I think it looks nice..........oh well.......

.....and No, if I ever deceide to sell, I am not removing it for the potential buyers, they will have to suck it up!!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
textured walls. They look OK to me, but I think it is just a way to cover up flaws in the wall.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
did anyone mention garden tubs or the jacuzzi tubs? what a waste of money & space if you ask me...
They look nice but who honestly has time to sit in their tub and relax?? we have had one in almost every home, and I think I have used it once. We have now been living in our new area for over a year and have yet to use the one in our master bath...
It is nothing but a dust collector now that is hard to clean!!
If someone is building a home, I always tell them to forget the garden tubs...

Just my op though...

Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
did anyone mention garden tubs or the jacuzzi tubs? what a waste of money & space if you ask me...
They look nice but who honestly has time to sit in their tub and relax?? we have had one in almost every home, and I think I have used it once. We have now been living in our new area for over a year and have yet to use the one in our master bath...

Just my op though...
I don't like those jetted tubs; they are farms for harmful bacteria. People have gotten really sick off those before.

My house's tub is the original 1957 vintage from when people were shorter and thinner on average than they are today. I have no trouble fitting into it and taking a nice long soak.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM

238 posts, read 617,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, I am in agreement with you.

I think the"wine cellar" or even a "wine cooler", (isn't that what us poor folks call refridgerator)??? oh yeah, real necessary...

-my media room is my living room
-my bookshelves is my library
-master bedroom, I just call it a bedroom
-I have a gym membership, dont need one at home
-double oven, ugh, seriously 1 is enough...unless of course a person really does enjoy cooking, which i do not....but i do like to eat someone elses cooking....so I have to give that a maybe lol
i agree, specially about the cooking...lol. wii is my gym membership, right there in the living room

Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post

Just my op though...
nah, it's my opinion as well. I'm with you, I would probably use it at first maybe twice, then probably never again, like you said, who has time to sit in a tub for a hour.....

I really don't even need a regular bathtub, I like the walk in showers better, much more room than a tub.....but that is maybe bad for re-sale, some families do need a bathtub.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate