Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM

381 posts, read 1,366,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, those vessel sinks are cool-looking, but have you noticed how low the faucet is? Seems like you would not have room to wash your hands.

The "garden tub"? Is that otherwise known as a Jacuzzi or jetted tub? I've never heard it called a garden tub. But anyway, I had one in a townhouse and it was nice once in awhile if I had an aching back, but the jets were too strong and the vibration was just too much, even on low. I spent a lot to have it mirrored (it was in a corner in a windowless bathroom) with some recessed lights....ahhh, what I would do to have all that frivolous money back.

To change the lightbulbs in the recessed lights in my two-story family room, I had to buy a big long extension pole. I looked like a circus act, trying to unscrew the old bulb, which of course fell to the floor and broke. I put in long-life bulbs so I'd never have to do that again!
My garden tub is big, but not jetted. I don't dig the jetted tubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,304,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberFlynn View Post
Also, LOVE my double ovens and *gasp* double sinks in my kitchen!! The two sinks may very well be the smartest design feature in the house.
In the kitchen - that's where double sinks belong!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM

381 posts, read 1,366,910 times
Oh, I forgot about the bathroom double sinks!

I do love them. We're not often getting ready at the same time, but I do enjoy washing my face and brushing my teeth without having to wipe out the little nasty hairs from him shaving over the sink and not cleaning it up. What can I say? I am an only child. I really like having my own space.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I must be the only one on Earth that still likes popcorn ceilings. I like the different texture on the ceiling as opposed to the flat walls. I am still happy with mine, the are painted a very light beige color, and have moss green walls...I think it looks nice..........oh well.......

.....and No, if I ever deceide to sell, I am not removing it for the potential buyers, they will have to suck it up!!
Job number 1 in the house we bought last year was to remove the popcorn ceilings, it was messy, but relatively easy.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 AM

18,484 posts, read 31,684,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Job number 1 in the house we bought last year was to remove the popcorn ceilings, it was messy, but relatively easy.
LOL, thats OK, everyone is entitled to their own taste......

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
I have wall paper in my home office and will be repainting etc this fall. I would like to use wall paper again, however, my friends tell me this is a no-no. Is wall paper out of style now?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,571,140 times
I'm not a decorator but from all the relatively new houses we've looked at ~ I'd say it is. None of them had any wallpaper. Haven't seen any country decor either. I'm out of style!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,768 times
Candice Olsen on Divine Design uses wallpaper selectively (part of a wall, or one single wall), but I'm still not a huge fan...although Candice knows infinitely more about design than I do.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,058,656 times
Some wallpaper looks elegant. The house we bought has some wallpaper. And all of it actually matched well with fixtures and countertops, etc. But the wallpaper itself was grimy looking. The first thing I did when we got possession of the house was I took down the kitchen wallpaper. That wallpaper had black decorative swirls on it and it looked like scuff marks. Everytime I saw it, I wanted to clean it off, but it was a part of the design!! It just made the room look dark and dirty!
The problems with the wallpaper in our bathrooms, it is peeling and looks like it is getting moldy between the baseboard and edge of the wallpaper. For that reason, I can't wait to take it down from there. It'll make the room so much cleaner!

But if you want to do it, go for it, it's your house! Maybe just put it up on one wall and put it up in a way that it's easy to take down. So if you get sick of it, or it starts to look old, you can take it down pretty quickly.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,458,097 times
Growing up with an architect for a Dad, and a realtor for a Mother, I guess I look at homes considerably different from most prospective home buyers. Much of what goes into a house is a matter of personal taste -- even down to the builder's choice of floor plan, and how the house sits on a lot.

I can walk into new construction, tell you what is malarkey, what will work and won't when it comes to living in the home, and what features just a few years from now will date a house. If you walk through homes built in the 1900s, 1950s and 60s, through the 70s, and on until today, you will also notice patterns -- in floor plans, layouts, colors, appliances, flooring choices, heating and cooling, etc.

I'd predict these wrought iron railings will date homes to the 1990s and early 2000s, as will the two-story entrance halls and family rooms. Ditto with the stainless appliances if they last that long, and granite counter tops.

My first home was a 1960s ranch, and the neighbors still had turquoise appliances. . .they were cool, to tell you the truth -- kinda like the things considered 'retro' today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate