Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM

704 posts, read 2,069,001 times

Advertisements

The inspector got a meter reading on under house moisture with a range of 8-15. This BEFORE he let the toilet flush 3 times and ran the tub for 5 minutes before finding a leak near the crawl space entrance. So, his meter readings were not affected by this moisture. It should not have affected the termite meter either, because the 2 inspections happened a week apart and I looked for the presence of water under there last week and everything was bone dry. The termite inspection was yesterday.
The termite inspector got a 22 reading near the crawl space door, which is behind the house. As he progressed to a "dead space" (little air circulation) he got a reading of 25 at the front porch.

My agent question's his meter being accurate and the termite inspector is not bending and rather upset that the other inspector hired by the buyer for $350 found a reading of 8-15.
My agent says the contractor determines what repairs or things will be done, not the inspector.

Well, on behalf of the buyers, I'd think if the buyer's accepted the termite inspection moisture readings and wanted that plastic stuff put under the house, I'd see no reason why they could not request that.

I'm told it only cost $200-$225 for the plastic and the labor.

Have you had big differences in moisture readings and how did it come out?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Consult with the professionals doing the readings as they are in the best position to defend their positions. We are merely Realtors and general public reading your post from other locations with very limited knowledge of your transaction and have never seen the home in question.

Also, why do you assume the termite guys measurements were off and not the home inspectors?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM

704 posts, read 2,069,001 times
Brandon Hoffman:
???
I defended the buyer's right to accept the termite inspectors findings and ask that plastic be installed.

DUH, the two inspector disagree.

So realtors and agents and buyers never encounter these type inspection issues on moisture and may have some expeirences to share with me instead of criticism?

Since buyers come to this forum, it is quite clear others may have experiences related to the type of findings by the inspectors.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 07-07-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Look, I gave you the best advice you'll ever get here! Consult with the professionals in their respective fields. The inspectors are the experts so let them work it out. Realtors, buyers, and sellers are not experts at moisture readings. Consult the professionals. If you don't get it or don't agree I can't do anything else for you because I can't spell it out any simpler than that. I'll say it a third time just in case though - Consult with the inspectors and let them work it out and if they can't you get another opinion.

By the way, I see things like this fairly often so it's not like I'm making up advice. This is what we do - rely on the professionals. What do you do when 2 doctors disagree on a medical opinion? You get another opinion.

I don't know how you interpreted my post as criticism when all it said was consult with the inspectors? You're welcome for the free help by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate