Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to change careers and wanted to get opinions on whether or not this is a worthy pursuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Demand fell off a cliff when the real estate market came unglued, but for those with experience and the ability to keep their heads work has been very solid, although rates are still well below where they once were...

Those with experience in commercial have been doing tons of required "mark to market" valuation for non-performing commercial loans. Residential stuff is busy with refi. It is cyclical, and if you don't get up to speed FAST you could be out of luck, so I would have reservations about trying to jump in as a full time gig, but if you have flexibility and can earn advanced certifications that might a route to pursue, as overtime that trend seems unlikely to change...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I'm looking to change careers and wanted to get opinions on whether or not this is a worthy pursuit.
I've been an appraiser for 27 years. I would NOT recommend trying to enter this field in today's market. Appraisers have been dropping right and left due to the lack of work and low fees. Around here, commercial probably has been hit the hardest since properties are just not selling. I get resumes all the time from area appraisers being laid off due to lack of work.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I've been an appraiser for 27 years. I would NOT recommend trying to enter this field in today's market. Appraisers have been dropping right and left due to the lack of work and low fees. Around here, commercial probably has been hit the hardest since properties are just not selling. I get resumes all the time from area appraisers being laid off due to lack of work.
Etex gives good advice. Many experienced appraisers & real estate agents are struggling. Starting off in good times is hard, starting out new in tough times could be extremely hard.

It is the 1st time in my 13 yr career I would advise people considering entering this business to consider it real hard before they enter.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Etex gives good advice. Many experienced appraisers & real estate agents are struggling. Starting off in good times is hard, starting out new in tough times could be extremely hard.

It is the 1st time in my 13 yr career I would advise people considering entering this business to consider it real hard before they enter.
Agreed. There's so much compitition out there, even though many are jumping ship! Also realize that appraisors are in the hotseat right now, between new guidelines all the time, Realtors and lenders they're usually pretty beat up on a daily basis. If you have thick skin you'll probably be ok...and some $ in the bank.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Does anyone else have any input or advice?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Yes. I think now is an excellent time to get into appraising, PROVIDED you are serious about becoming a good appraiser and not just a form filler.

You need to be able to go through a minimum of 2 years of training under a Supervisor and you won't make much, if any, money.

But our profession is in dire need of good, professional appraisers who won't accept any assignments other than full fee.

It isn't easy but my partner and I have insisted on it and we are doing well.

(I am actually disagreeing with ETEX2) Sorry, S!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
While I am not an appraiser, I do know a lot of them. Each and every one of them have told me how much they are struggling since the regulations changed. Two of them went from two person businesses, to ONE person, and one decided to get out of the business.

The home inspection field has also suffered a lot in the past couple of years. Anyone that thinks they may go into inspections should have their head examined. I think its the same for appraisers.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 AM

What regulations have changed specifically?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
What regulations have changed specifically?

Appraisal regulations have not necessarily changed, but the way appraisals for mortgage purposes are ordered has. In the past the Loan Officers was in direct contact with the appraiser, now they are ordered by either a seperate department at the Lender or through an AMC.

There are many other purposes for appraisals and I believe that, like with any other business, if you are a pro and diversify, appraising is a good profession to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate