Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM

68 posts, read 553,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
And what difference would that make? Or are you implying that an inspector referred by an agent is therefore less competent?

Edit: What Rakin said .

We did get the inspector from our RE agent. She gave us her top three pics since we, being first time home owners, trusted her 25 year experience and judgment above our blind knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthMassGal View Post

We did get the inspector from our RE agent. She gave us her top three pics since we, being first time home owners, trusted her 25 year experience and judgment above our blind knowledge.
This is usually the case when we deal with clients and IMO the very best way to choose an inspector. No agent I know would purposely recommend a bad one.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Personally I don't like the idea of using a RE suggested inspector. I'm sure it is perfectly fine most of the time. But there is always a part of me that thinks the inspector will always be looking for more business from the realtor. I deal that goes through makes a realtor happy.

Obviously other people disagree. I just think there are enough inspectors out there that I don't even need to think about this aspect.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I don't like the idea of using a RE suggested inspector. I'm sure it is perfectly fine most of the time. But there is always a part of me that thinks the inspector will always be looking for more business from the realtor. I deal that goes through makes a realtor happy.

Obviously other people disagree. I just think there are enough inspectors out there that I don't even need to think about this aspect.

There are loads of inspectors just like there are loads of agents. You want to hire the inspector that does it full time and has been in thousands of houses. Not the one that has been in twenty.

I can't believe any inspector doesn't have a moisture meter. That is basic equipment, but some states still have them unlicensed.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthMassGal View Post
Thank you for all your replies.

Yes, this is correct. The house went to foreclosure first, the flipper bought the house at auction and then 'fixed it up' to put it on the market, where we found and purchased it.

Interesting feedback. Why do you think they are rip offs? I understand not all mold is deadly, but it's certainly not a good feature in a house, in my opinion. I certainly don't feel comfortale dealing with the demo and cleaning of it myself. Besides, isn't bleach ineffective against mold?

We are fixing it pronto - definitely not waiting for someone else to do it for us. The mold covers almost every wall in the basement (and this split level has the living room, kitchen and half bath downstairs, so it's our entire 'living and social' space in the house.

I will call my real estate lawyer today and present the issue.

For those who ask me to go through the documents (which I can do this weekend), any specific place in those stacks of paper I should be looking for these clauses?

I am on the fence between thinking that a)I'm screwed and b) the flipper HAD to disclose this. He KNEW it was there. The only reason we caught the mold in the kitchen was because the day we walked through he hadn't put the countertops on yet and you could see right behind the cabinets. No one is that blind. It was visible - which means we'll put our lives on the table they noticed the same thing in the living room area and other side of the kitchen before finishing the flooring and baseboards.

Also, re: my inspector, interesting. He definitely didn't have a moisture meter (again, is this just shame on the buyers for not knowing to hire someone with this??) Or if seeing the moisture in the crawlspace means he should have investigated how that might be affecting the adjoining walls?

I'll post back with what my lawyer says.

Thank you.

Did the flipper do the work themselves or hire it out? The deal is that the flipper is innocent until proven guilty, and that burden lies with you. If they used contractors, you should be able to have your attorney subpoena those invoices which should indicate what was told to the flipper.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
I was not implying anything; just a point of thought and curiosity. The question could be asked and may have implications based discovery that we probably won't be privy to if a case develops. Maybe it would be a discussing best held in a separate thread and I didn't mean to side track this one.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:09 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:

My two favorite inspectors - the ones I refer constantly - kill my deals every now and again. (In fact one just last month.)

And that's why I refer them - they do a thorough job for their clients.

I don't want my buyers buying money pits ... what good would that do? My business thrives & survives on word of mouth and attaboys.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
My two favorite inspectors - the ones I refer constantly - kill my deals every now and again. (In fact one just last month.)

I don't want my buyers buying money pits ... what good would that do? My business thrives & survives on word of mouth and attaboys.
Like I said, I'm sure most of the time it is fine. Personally I view it as a conflict that I would just rather avoid.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:21 PM

68 posts, read 553,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There are loads of inspectors just like there are loads of agents. You want to hire the inspector that does it full time and has been in thousands of houses. Not the one that has been in twenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Yes, yes, yes. I concur. This home inspector, if nothing else, would be amazing at killing more deals than sealing them. He is ridiculously thorough (Ok aside from the moisture meter) and can make any potentially optimistic home buyer feel like they should rent for the rest of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Did the flipper do the work themselves or hire it out? The deal is that the flipper is innocent until proven guilty, and that burden lies with you. If they used contractors, you should be able to have your attorney subpoena those invoices which should indicate what was told to the flipper.
I had to snort out loud because the 'flipper' would so never do the work himself. Hired a bunch of jimbronies, I'm sure. There were always workers in and out of that place fixing stuff up. Of course, god only knows what was actually 'documented' as far as what was there and what was to be done.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
Quote:

This could not be further from the truth. As a Realtor we want the best inspection possible. We rely on referral business from past clients. We don't get referrals from clients if they feel we shoved them through the inspection process just to get a check. What makes a realtor happy is a happy satisfied client. The best inspector for your buyer is the same inspector you don't want to see when you're the seller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate