Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM

11 posts, read 45,106 times

Advertisements

If one of the addendums says that occupancy is COE + 5 days, that means the seller doesn't hand over the keys until 5 days after escrow closes.
What I'm curious to know is who actually owns the house during that time.
Also, if it doesn't specify any rental agreement or rent, then basically those 5 days are just freebies?

I've asked my agent, but curious to know what others are saying too since my trust factor is somewhat lower than when I started the whole process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
If the buyer has closed escrow, that means they are now the home owners and the sellers are living there for 5 days free unless you worked out a payment schedule, which you should have done. In my market, 2 days can be free, but more than that, we usually charge the seller to stay since the buyers are paying mortgage and taxes for those extra days.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
When I sold my last house it was COE + 30 days. This is standard for the area and was a lovely surprise. The buyer owned the house at COE, I maintained HOI and continued to pay all of the utilites. There was no mention of rent.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 AM

11 posts, read 45,106 times
Ah ok. that's pretty much what I thought!!
Basically the house I'm buying, has COE + 3 and the house I'm selling has a COE + 5. They both have the same escrow closing target date...but obviously the one where I'm buying can't close until the one I'm selling has closed. So while noone told me this, I am somewhat sure they can't close on the same day and will at least have a day between them...

its because I need to try moving into the new house we're buying directly instead of moving twice.
and I can't buy the other house until the proceeds from the sale of my current house get sent in.
crazy stuff this buying and selling houses at the same time

Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
You should be able to close on the same day if you'll do it early and make arrangements. That way hopefully all the loans will fund that day.

A word of wisdom, hopefully you are not closing on a Friday. If something goes wrong you can't fix it till the following Monday.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremen9 View Post
Ah ok. that's pretty much what I thought!!
Basically the house I'm buying, has COE + 3 and the house I'm selling has a COE + 5. They both have the same escrow closing target date...but obviously the one where I'm buying can't close until the one I'm selling has closed. So while noone told me this, I am somewhat sure they can't close on the same day and will at least have a day between them...

its because I need to try moving into the new house we're buying directly instead of moving twice.
and I can't buy the other house until the proceeds from the sale of my current house get sent in.
crazy stuff this buying and selling houses at the same time

Depending on your state and lender requirements sometimes you can do a simultaneous closing where you close on the same day.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Wow, this is another great example of different norms in different areas. In Boise, almost all transactions are written that occupancy is available as soon as the house funds and records. In other words, when the house closes, the seller must be out and the buyer can move in that day. Any "occupy after close" involves rent back terms and changes in insurance, since the house is technically a rental for those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate