Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times

Advertisements

Call your agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Your agent will want you to call him - I don't want my client seeing a house I am not seeing. I am supposed to take care of them - not have them make it easy for me.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 AM

154 posts, read 407,799 times
Hello all,
Thanks for the feedback; obviously though, some of you haven't thoroughly read my original post. My concern is to not be a pain in my agent's butt--I have every intention of giving him the sale. Since I don't work in real estate, I don't know how their end of it works--i.e. my "I'm a pain in the butt" feeling. I am a single woman, with a daughter, buying a house on my own; I don't know how to remodel and have to hire contractors; therefore, yes, I am being selective with what I buy. My lowball offer on the current house, btw, is bc it's been sitting for almost 2 yrs, it's in very rough shape (more than cosmetic repair needed), and what they want for it--i.e. the "168K"--is totally ridiculous. Not to mention, the seller is willing to negotiate--and I'm the only one coming forth with any offer at all.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I think folks are getting lost in the mess.

To the OP, if you are working with a buyer's agent then you need to contact them to show you the house. You are not being a bother, it's their job. If you went to see the house on your own and had the listing agent show you, there is the potential the listing agent could claim that they are the one who generated the sale and are therefore deserving of the buying agents comission. It is simply good business manners and form to contact your agent and ask them to show you the house.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM

154 posts, read 407,799 times
Thanks to all who thoughtfully answered. I've called my agent and he's showing me the original (cheaper) house next week--also, he's finding out about some issues I have concerning that house. Truthfully, I'm still not sure what "procurring" means, but it does make sense that another agent who shows a house might want a commission. So how's that work re open houses? In other words, if I go to an open house, is the agent at that open house going to get the commission if I have my own agent, but have gone to the open house on my own?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Full disclosure is required - "Hi, I saw your open house, but I m already working with a good agent. "

As far as seeing a house, why would you not want your agent to go through it with you? Your agent can point out some of the items you need to address in the offer.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
I show my listings for other agents quite regularly. Their agent is tied down out of town at a closing etc. I make it clear I am there to open the door and protect my client and answer little to no questions for the potential buyer. I puff-up obvious features show lot corners if known, but generally remain close lipped while re-iterating they should come back and/or inquire with their agent if interested or if they are inquiring on details other than what we see before us (or what is on the data sheet) they of course again, will need to contact their agent. Our agencies even have a spot to sign specifying if I worked with someone, but am not representing them, I technically don't have to have them signed unless showing more than one of my own listings to a particular individual, or if they start asking questions I have them sign the non-rep. agent area. This way it is clear to potential buyer and my seller doesn't miss out on a showing - with so many relo and second home buyers in my area catching someone while they are hot, and actually here is imp. cause once they go home it could be months before they return. Life is to short to start some procuring cause crap with someone that is obligated to another agent, or to disadvantage my sellers by being stubborn.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
2bindenver has the best suggestion for an open house - simply say you are working with an agent.
For a 1000 reasons it's in the buyer's best interst to use a buyers agent.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Marka; 07-15-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 37,279 times
Please contact your agent and let him know what is going on. He will take you and not have an issue with the listing agent. If the listing agent shows you and you do not disclose the relationship with your agent they can make it hard for him to clooect his check.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
I've been working with a realtor for a yr now. To the point where he's shown me inside at least 6 or 7 homes, and given me info about lots of others. Still, I' haven't bought yet--but I'm close--closer than i've been in 5 yrs. So I'm almost to the point of putting in a bid on a house I looked at today, but I want to look again at one that just came back on the market after it was pending for awhile (not sure why it was pending, then not...)... Just to make sure that the current house I'm looking at will be a decision I'll be ultimately happy with--also, just in case owner doesn't take my (much lower than asking price) bid. (House that just came back on the market is priced 100K cheaper than #2). I think that in the long run, I'd be happier with the house I'm currently looking at; but it's going to take a whole lot of elbow grease, contractors, and about 10K more than I pay to begin with, to get it to be where I need it to be. The house that just came back on the market, well, it's smaller, it's got 2 neighbors breathing down its neck (albeit it is a corner lot) and aesthetically it's not so fabulous--BUT inside, it's set up more the way I need it to be than the today's looked-at house is. Well. After all that mishmash of thought (didn't I read that buying a house is as stressful as getting married, getting divorced, and the death of a family member?), what i"m wondering is this....I feel like I'm being a pain in the butt to my realtor, what with asking him about this, and asking him to show me that...can I have the listing agent of the house-back-on-the-market show me that house, but if I decide to bid on that one, go with my own realtor? IF I haven't lost anybody yet, and you're still with me....I will greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
that the OP wants to know if it's okay to use, not the listing agent, but the buyer's agent he's been working with for a year, to write the contract. He simply wants to know if having the listing agent show him the house that his agent showed him before obligates him to use the listing agent to write the contract - and the answer to that is, no.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 07-15-2010 at 05:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate