Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 PM

30 posts, read 72,233 times

Advertisements

House selling is getting expensive for us. Our relocation company ordered home Inspection for us and the Inspector asked to install AFCI Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter device and Fire rated door between garage and house. Our current door is metal not wood. Isn't that good enough ?
My house was built in 1999 and hence these were not the building code requirement. What should I do to avoide these expensive installations.
Our relocation company would not contribute to closing cost unless we meet this requirement. Has anyone went through this kind of situation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Both of these would be code violations. You need to check and see about the steel door. It's usually ok but codes are different around the country. If this is holding things back like you mention, you'll just have to bite the bullet and get the work done.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default What is the town's requirement? Sounds fishy...

I know what the difference is between GFCI & AFCI, because I watch the hardware shows. I also know that AFCI is $$$ compared to GFCI. Are you sure that they are required by local code? If not sounds like an inspector that thinks these costs are coming from some corporate relo bottomless money pit, not very responsible these days...

Similarly I really DOUBT that a house built in 1999 with a metal door between the garage and the rest of the living space was NOT built to code. It is unlikely that a door your might buy today is significantly different than what was "up to code"... Of course the cost of a new door and opts installation might be very profitable for those guy, but ther is no way a buyer would pay more for it, even if you had the sticker / cert saying how it would be the last thing standing when your cars / lawnmowers blow up...

If these are the only things on the report I would be very skeptical that your house really needs anything. Some inspectors feel that if they have not made the homeowner look they are living in death trap they have not done their job; making their money off doing the upgrades is highly unethical. Referring other contractors is only a little less egregious, in small towns they don't even have to make a formal referral as they probably are pals with all the hammer swingers and wire tighteners with a license...

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapart View Post
House selling is getting expensive for us. Our relocation company ordered home Inspection for us and the Inspector asked to install AFCI Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter device and Fire rated door between garage and house. Our current door is metal not wood. Isn't that good enough ?
My house was built in 1999 and hence these were not the building code requirement. What should I do to avoide these expensive installations.
Our relocation company would not contribute to closing cost unless we meet this requirement. Has anyone went through this kind of situation ?
Hello Scrapart,

Arc Fault Circuit Interruptors (AFCI) were only required on 15 and 20 Amp bedroom branch circuits since 2005. In the 2008 National Electrical Code (NEC) they mandated them for all 15 and 20 Amp branch circuits in the home. However, your home was built in 1999 and predates these requirements. Unfortunately in the 2008 Rule Making Sessions/Law Changes the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Inspector Advisory Committee (IAC) made a rule change requiring that all homes, regardless of their age, be compared to the 2008 NEC as far as AFCI's are concerned. Hence 99.9999999% of the homes in your area, 75019 Zip and Texas, are having their electrical systems marked as "Deficient" during a TREC controlled inspection. You can read the guidelines and rules for Inspectors here TREC - Rules Governing Inspectors.

AFCI's are a safety item and would be "Nice" to have on all 15 and 20 Amp branch circuits. However, it was only required in 2008 NEC and unless the State mandates that all homes be updated then it really is not a fair item to mark on homes being inspected which pre-date these requirements.

I am not sure why your steel door is being written up as not fire rated. This is the actual building code reference for what the code requires on a garage door:

Quote:
R309.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage
directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted.
Other openings between the garage and residence shall
be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1 3/8 inches (35
mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less
than 1 3/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.
You would need to take a look at your door and see if it meets this requirement. The door itself can have no penetrations such as windows, animal access doors, etc. These are possible fire and smoke spread issue points.

If you have any other questions about your report please feel free to contact me. Good luck on selling the home and the move.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Bear in mind that the OP is dealing with a Relocation company.
Fact, common sense, ethics, fiduciary duty?
None apply.

Is the metal door penetrated, i.e., with a kitty or doggie flap?
Or is it just not labeled?

If you are relocating with a current employer, i.e., have a good established relationship, you might talk to HR about being pushed around.
If your relo package is with a new employer where you have a little less established relationship, you might consider just going along with the relo company demands and getting on with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate