Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 01:41 PM

305 posts, read 991,394 times

Advertisements

In this economy is it better to rent or buy ? I am a single parent with 2 kids. My son is 20 and is still in school and works and is disabled and my daughter is only 14. My concern is not so much making the payment as it is doing the costly up keep. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 02:11 PM

157 posts, read 440,218 times
If you figure what you have to spend on rent yearly. Compare what your house payment, taxes and utilities would run. Depends on how big a house you have.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
With how low the prices are now in buying, it would be hard pressed to find a reason not to.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default If you get a good land lord...

There are plenty that'll rent for less than you can buy. In some aereasmthe gapmisnhuge, with underwater home owners deer ate to do anything to keep cashnflowing...

Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM

739 posts, read 1,847,634 times
My advice would be to rent. Any down payment you might make is at risk if the value of your house falls even further. Then you would be stuck. At least with a rental you can get up and go if you need to do so. It's better than sitting in a house for which you paid too much money that you can't sell without losing your shirt.
Two years ago, people were saying that the housing market has 'hit bottom'. Nope. Not yet. Who knows when it will? It could be years; there is a lot of inventory out there, foreclosures, short sales..... A nightmare for those of us who own homes where we've lost thousands of dollars in equity and can't even sell them anyway.
Rent. Keep your eyes peeled. If your job is secure and you find a home you really love, go for it. Be cautious. Caveat emptor.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
With how low the prices are now in buying, it would be hard pressed to find a reason not to.
Depends where you live.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
If you have a lot of job stability and life stability, stable neighborhoods to buy in that won't slide into crime over 50 years and never plan on moving sure, consider it. Otherwise a house really ties you down. If your renting and your salary goes down you can economize, find a cheaper place, i.e. you have options. If your paying a mortgage and the real estate market sucks - your stuck.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Depends entirely on where in the country you live and how long you intend to live there.

Here in our area - prices are fairly stable but remain softer than they have been in years. Interest rates are a bargain! I don't think they will spike dramitically within the next year. However, I think they will increase in the next few years. Locally, I think it's a great time to buy - IF you intend to remain in the area for 4 years + or so.

You are correct. There are expenses beyond the mortgage payment. Your best bet might be to sit down with a good mortgage lender. Ask what you might qualify for and what they would budget for on your behalf.

The smart thing is not to become house poor. Just to pick a number (example only) - say you qualify for $200,000.00. Great. But if you can find a home that would suit your needs for $150,000.00 - that's smart!!

Know what you can do and what you can't. If you have never - REALLY - fixed up a house - don't buy a fixer upper! There are enough bargains that are not trashed forclosures, etc. Buying something that's broken and you can't fix is not a bargain.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
You know you have some pretty vague information and are wanting feedback. Where you live makes a huge difference. Some markets are fairly stable and others are highly unstable. What kind of real estate market you are in matters.

Also, if you buy a house you do need to have time for yardwork, unless you get a condo. As a single parent, you need to ask yourself if you really want to take on that added stress. Are you going to live in your area for a long time? If you aren't sure, buying probably doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate