Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I'm not saying you're doing something wrong, or that you shouldn't be allowed to.

It's just weird.
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I am for the no-shoes-in-the-house policy. About others, to each his own.

Streets are very dirty, no way I am stepping in with the same shoes I walked out. In my case, it is merely a cleanliness habit, but I find it to be a healthy one.

I never wear shoes in the house, and don't think it is unreasonable to ask people to remove shoes when entering your house, whether you have carpets or not. If it is clean and it is your habit, why would people not do it?!

One question for the real estate agents, why in the world do people get into bathtubs while visiting a house they are considering to buy?! I often see it on tv, is it just a tv show thing or does it really happen? I find it the poorest taste/manners to do it...
Well, I am 6'5" tall, and some tubs are not so accommodating.
And I have tried a couple on.

TV? Probably playing it up for the camera.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM

I don't see anything wrong with trying out the bath for size.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with trying out the bath for size.
Never with shoes on.

Well, in a foreclosure, sure...

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

475 posts, read 571,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
One question for the real estate agents, why in the world do people get into bathtubs while visiting a house they are considering to buy?! I often see it on tv, is it just a tv show thing or does it really happen? I find it the poorest taste/manners to do it...
Because bathtubs are expensive things to replace, and may be a deal-breaker if they're too small/uncomfortable to use?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Never with shoes on.

Well, in a foreclosure, sure...
Maybe leave shoe covers next to the tub.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM

50 posts, read 177,411 times
As a buyer's agent I've had clients ask about taking off their shoes and I usually say yes or take mine off as an indication that it's appreciated. A lot depends on the weather too. If there is a chance of tracking something into the home I'll insist on it. As a seller's agent it depends on the home. Requesting that the potential buyer remove their shoes or wear covers is a sign that the seller cares about the home and it taking good care of it. I will post a cute sign to please remove or cover the shoes and have shoe covers and a chair at the enterance.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,022 times
I just think it is tacky (on tv shows) when someone tries the bathtub first thing when entering a bathroom... and then the person goes "oh, that is such a nice bathtub!" Can you say "poor taste"?! To me, if one absolutely has to try it, one should ask first "do you think the owners would mind if..." and do it quickly, instead of jumping in the tub first thing and staying there for a few minutes.

No way I am going to test every bathtub in every house I visit, it is disconcerting. How many times has one been in a bathtub, most people look at them and know whether they will fit or not, unless one is extremely tall.

Also, I have seen people opening every single cabinet door in a house. If the house is occupied, this is in very poor taste as well. Why would one open a cabinet or a refrigerator, it is easy to see the dimensions!!
Well, maybe it is just me... but I won't do it. Only thing I check is the closets, and only if I cannot easily see their dimensions.

And if someone loves a house and says "will not buy it bc of bathtub", is this serious?! Of all features that are impossible to replace or extremely expensive, one will pick a reason out of a bathtub?!

I am really sorry if you disagree, that is just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM

475 posts, read 571,001 times
Sure, you can see the dimensions... but the insides could be all torn up and barely more than sawdust, they could be covered in mold, there could be other damage, stains, general poor condition...

And not everyone wants to drop $2-3k to renovate a bathroom if they can just get the house next door that has a bathroom they like.

Some people LOVE BATHS and spend an hour a day in the tub. It's that important to some people. Hell, I just had to replace a tub, and my fiancee insisted on an extra-deep, extra-wide soaking tub because she loves baths... and had to have one that fit multiples

Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM

As far as I am concerned anything that is part of the house if fair game. That would include cabinets and bathtubs. Now looking in dressers or desks would be out of line in my opinion as those aren't part of what is being sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate