U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM

59,678 posts, read 40,875,315 times

Advertisements

Looks like the OP's DNA says California. So what works or not, in my area is of no value to him/her.

What works in the OC may not fly in Northern Cali.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,138,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Be sure to check thoroughly, and make sure that if there is an in-ground pool, that nobody has ever drowned in the pool.
I'm sure that there are cases where families have sold their houses and moved away to escape what they felt was bad karma,
or the result of considering that perhaps, the pool is cursed. I could be wrong on this but it wouldn't amaze me to find
that Florida has more in-ground pools per capita than any other state. I'd also be calling my insurance man and asking him
about increasing your liability coverage, there are also hidden dangers in the potential, that you may be sued if someone
drowns in your pool, under negligent circumstances.

I'm really not looking to rain on your parade, but I just had to mention those factors that need consideration, or at least
some that I would consider if I were to be looking for a house with an in-ground pool. To be a tad more honest about my reply,
I confess, I just finished my smoke and, some of you may understand that feeling or thought that often comes to your mind, or
that you might get, shortly after finishing that last hit,

"I'll start thinking about every ridiculous thing that could never happen"

And even worse,.............. I'll do it out here on city-data!
And this kids, is why drugs are bad.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM

169 posts, read 650,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Probably depends on where you live. Peronsally I actually looked in to how much it would cost me to remove a pool at one house I was interested in. I definitely would have takent that in to consideration if I had made an offer.
How much does it cost to remove a pool? Where did you go to get an estimated cost?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Be sure to check thoroughly, and make sure that if there is an in-ground pool, that nobody has ever drowned in the pool.
I'm sure that there are cases where families have sold their houses and moved away to escape what they felt was bad karma,
or the result of considering that perhaps, the pool is cursed. I could be wrong on this but it wouldn't amaze me to find
that Florida has more in-ground pools per capita than any other state. I'd also be calling my insurance man and asking him
about increasing your liability coverage, there are also hidden dangers in the potential, that you may be sued if someone
drowns in your pool, under negligent circumstances.

I'm really not looking to rain on your parade, but I just had to mention those factors that need consideration, or at least
some that I would consider if I were to be looking for a house with an in-ground pool. To be a tad more honest about my reply,
I confess, I just finished my smoke and, some of you may understand that feeling or thought that often comes to your mind, or
that you might get, shortly after finishing that last hit,

"I'll start thinking about every ridiculous thing that could never happen"

And even worse,.............. I'll do it out here on city-data!
Is the seller required to disclose information on any death in the house? If not, how do you find the information?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM

4,511 posts, read 12,764,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
Is the seller required to disclose information on any death in the house? If not, how do you find the information?
May depend on the state, but I suspect generally not required (definitely not in AZ). And how far back do you want to go? Just the current seller, previous owners?

How do you find out? You ask, but may not get an answer.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
May depend on the state, but I suspect generally not required (definitely not in AZ). And how far back do you want to go? Just the current seller, previous owners?

I bet if you go back far enough there is a good chance someone died on that piece of land. Maybe a caveman got eaten by a sabre toothed tiger.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
How much does it cost to remove a pool? Where did you go to get an estimated cost?
Just google pool removal costs. There is a ton of information out there. I remember someone even posted on online diary of the process. The short answer is the cost can vary greatly depending on where you are and exactly what type of pool you have.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post

When someone died, didn't it need to be reported to the City or any state authorities? If yes, can an agent check on that matter?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 12,764,508 times
Quote:
When someone died, didn't it need to be reported to the City or any state authorities? If yes, can an agent check on that matter?
Those records are confidential in AZ:

http://www.azdhs.gov/vitalrcd/death_index.htm
Quote:
Arizona is a "closed record" state. That means that vital records are not public record. Arizona law restricts the public's access to vital records to protect the confidentiality rights of our citizens.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 AM

We looked at a townhouse a few years ago. After the showing the seller's realtor disclosed to our realtor that the previous owner killed himself in the house. I am pretty sure that this disclosure was not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate