Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM

228 posts, read 818,354 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking it seems that real estate agents do a good job in their efforts to sell a property but do they do an equally good job in selling an offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Generally speaking it seems that real estate agents do a good job in their efforts to sell a property but do they do an equally good job in selling an offer?

Some agents do a good job in the negotiation part, some don't.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM

228 posts, read 818,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Some agents do a good job in the negotiation part, some don't.
Obviously but are agents generally less capable or willing to sell an offer than sell a property?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
I think I need more information.

Are you asking if agents are better at getting offers for a property or are they better at getting offers accepted?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Not all that much "selling" in the traditional sense...

The offer is typically presented to the listing agent, smart agents do 'read' the agent across the table from as well as ask for information that is useful to understanding the offer.

If the listing agent across the table wants the deal to close ( and get paid...) the offer, or a counter offer, has to be accepted. Some sellers are kinda funny, and they feel that haggling is not the way to get to agreement, but realistically if the buyer wants the house for the lowest price and the seller wants to sell it for the highest price there has to be some give and take to get agreement.

The agents don't sell so much as look out for the interests of buyer and seller.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Obviously but are agents generally less capable or willing to sell an offer than sell a property?

No. Some agents are crappy at getting buyers into their homes, but are good negotiators and some agents are great at getting buyers in the door and are horrible negotiators. A few agents are good at both. Those are the ones you want.

There is no generalization in play here. Good agents are good at both.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
"selling an offer"?
If I'm a listing agent, it's not my job to "sell" an incoming offer to the seller. It is my job to offer advice to the seller - be sure s/he is aware of the pros vs. cons of an offer. If it's an offer I think is very good, I have no problem saying so. Still in the end, it's the sellers choice.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
"selling an offer"?
If I'm a listing agent, it's not my job to "sell" an incoming offer to the seller. It is my job to offer advice to the seller - be sure s/he is aware of the pros vs. cons of an offer. If it's an offer I think is very good, I have no problem saying so. Still in the end, it's the sellers choice.
I agree completely! It's about making sure the seller knows the position they're in and where the offer fits in their position. It's about reminding the seller that accepting X for the house today is like accepting X for the house next month or in 3 months. A good agent will "sell" the pros and cons to make sure everything is understood, but it's the seller's choice.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:28 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Are you asking from a buyer agent's perspective, or the listing agent's?

As a buyer agent, I try to frame the offer to the seller/listing agent in the best light. The key is how flexible the buyer can be in their terms vs. the seller's perceived needs. As a listing agent, I would not "sell" an offer to my client. I'd advise them on the pros/cons and let them decide.

As discussed, the ability of any given agent to negotiate and get good results for their clients will vary considerably.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Considering they don't get paid if the deal doesn't close I really don't understand the "willing" part of your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate