Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Would you like to buy a house knowing you are already $9K down on equity? At least take it back to the seller for negotiation.
If the personal property is worth $10k, how would a buyer be "already $9k down in equity"? Add in the fact that appraisals are far from an exact science....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
If the personal property is worth $10k, how would a buyer be "already $9k down in equity"? Add in the fact that appraisals are far from an exact science....
Personal property, as a general rule, goes down fairly fast in value. What will that TV and washer/dryer be worth in 5 years? Certainly not 10k or anything like it.

However, I do agree completely with your second sentence. Who knows, maybe she really isn't already down $9,000. (Or maybe she's down even more.) In any case, when you take that into consideration with whatever sales commission she will pay when she sells, she's already in a big hole. I still think she will be lucky to break even in 5 or even 10 years.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
When does personal property in the house become equity? This is new to me. But it is true that appraisal is not exact science, far from it.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Woud it make any difference to the seller if I agreed to pay the appraisal price on the home - then paid him separately for the personal property?

As somone else posted, this would help me in terms of my real estate taxes and perhaps lower my monthly payment a bit and could help me long-term.

If the seller ended up with the same amount - does this somehow hurt him?

I have no idea as to the true value of the personal property. That home theatre system is built into the wall - but I guess he could tear it down and re-drywall. I looked on line and those systems range anywhere from $5000 to $50,000 including the projector systems, the speakers, etc. I could care less about it - but I think my 15 year old son feels differently!

So I could very well be getting $9000 in personal property. I just think it would be smart to split the two. The house; and the personal property. I was just wondering what objection the seller could have to this. Yes, he's getting less on the house but if I pay him separately for the personal property - what's the difference?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Not sure why it would matter to the buyer. Still getting the same net amount.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Woud it make any difference to the seller if I agreed to pay the appraisal price on the home - then paid him separately for the personal property?

As somone else posted, this would help me in terms of my real estate taxes and perhaps lower my monthly payment a bit and could help me long-term.

If the seller ended up with the same amount - does this somehow hurt him?

I have no idea as to the true value of the personal property. That home theatre system is built into the wall - but I guess he could tear it down and re-drywall. I looked on line and those systems range anywhere from $5000 to $50,000 including the projector systems, the speakers, etc. I could care less about it - but I think my 15 year old son feels differently!

So I could very well be getting $9000 in personal property. I just think it would be smart to split the two. The house; and the personal property. I was just wondering what objection the seller could have to this. Yes, he's getting less on the house but if I pay him separately for the personal property - what's the difference?
I think its a good idea to pay separately for the additional contents he has agreed to leave and go ahead and reduce the selling price to the appraisal price. Your taxes will be less, as you said.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think its a good idea to pay separately for the additional contents he has agreed to leave and go ahead and reduce the selling price to the appraisal price. Your taxes will be less, as you said.
And my monthly payments - which will help me in the long run. Thanks guys, this was a great idea!

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I'll post the outcome.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:

So I could very well be getting $9000 in personal property. ...
As noted before, appliances/electronics depreciate in value quickly. How old are they? If more than 3-5yrs, then value is probably close to zero. You should check the brands/models and find out current selling price if they are still being sold, or ask a home theater expert. Otherwise, the idea of paying separately is good, but value may not be enough to make up the difference.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM

58 posts, read 200,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
As noted before, appliances/electronics depreciate in value quickly. How old are they? If more than 3-5yrs, then value is probably close to zero. You should check the brands/models and find out current selling price if they are still being sold, or ask a home theater expert. Otherwise, the idea of paying separately is good, but value may not be enough to make up the difference.
Yep, I hope buyer does not plan to give $9K in cash to seller for not-new electronics.
Hard truth is that seller cannot get its money back for every upgrade he did.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
That should be covered in your contract. Have you read it? Talk to your agent.

Quote:
So. Found a house I love and that will accomodate my teen-age son AND my 88 year old father who we are taking with us. First floor master; home theatre system; rec room and three full baths. All within walking distance to my son's school and 10 minutes from my office.

Then the appraisal comes in - $9000 less than the price we had agreed upon.

What to do???

Here's something else to consider. I got a lot of 'extras'. Seller agreed to leave the brand new washer and dryer. Seller agreed to leave the home theatre system and projector (not much choice about this - it was built into the wall). Seller agreed to leave the 42 inch tv mounted on the great room wall. Seller agreed to leave the small bedroom tv also mounted on the wall with a swivel post. Seller agreed to live the HUGE mirror in the great room.

Do all these things make up for the $9000 difference in the appraisal? When I go to sell this house will I be taking a huge loss?

Crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate