Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 PM

244 posts, read 747,156 times

Advertisements

On the listing side he probably does not have anything else to do except make sure that the buyers are meeting their deadlines. The agent is doing this anyway since they are representing both sides. On the buyers side he has to make sure the clients get home owners insurance and mortgage and advise them not to make any big purchases as this may affect their mortgage getting final approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM

42 posts, read 85,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I don't think the OP is looking to ditch the agent now during the sale, they just do not want to relist with this agent if the sale falls through and they are questioning having to do an extension now.

While it may be just their perception (I am not saying it is not true) that their list agent was negotiating more for the buyer than them, this might be one of the factors for them not wanting to relist with him or her.

Thank you, Mike Peterson-you are EXACTLY right!

To everyone else, thank you all so much for your input. The contract does state the Agent will get the commission because they brought the buyer to me and I am 100% in agreement with that!

I really believe the Agent represented the buyer in the offer that I received but that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Middle-aged Mom-I wish my Agent would have kicked in. I had to go about $5,000 below what I wanted to go after just dropping my price and it would have been nice if the Agent would have helped with that. I didn't even know that was a possibility until I talked to someone after signing the offer. Not to say that he would have but it would have been nice.

As far as the contract goes, I guess now when it expires the Agent will really be working for the buyer

Thank again you all are great!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM

244 posts, read 747,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCAGal View Post
Thank you, Mike Peterson-you are EXACTLY right!

To everyone else, thank you all so much for your input. The contract does state the Agent will get the commission because they brought the buyer to me and I am 100% in agreement with that!

I really believe the Agent represented the buyer in the offer that I received but that's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Middle-aged Mom-I wish my Agent would have kicked in. I had to go about $5,000 below what I wanted to go after just dropping my price and it would have been nice if the Agent would have helped with that. I didn't even know that was a possibility until I talked to someone after signing the offer. Not to say that he would have but it would have been nice.

As far as the contract goes, I guess now when it expires the Agent will really be working for the buyer

Thank again you all are great!
Did he show you comps so you could base your acceptance on what is going on in the area? Also, he is still working both sides until close. The listing contract expiring does not matter they are on the contract as representing you and still will be.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Explain to the current agent that you will not be extending your agreement, then interview prospective listing agents explaining the situation in detail.

They'll be knowledgeable about the local RE laws and be able to advise you by looking at the previous listing agreement.

P.S. Gotten myself in trouble arguing dual agency before... Why anyone does it is well beyond me.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
There should be no need for you to extend the contract. It should have already been stipulated in the agreement or addendum to as to what broker is getting paid what commission out of this deal.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I would think the listing contract and P&S agreement would cover him though to closing without having an extension. Of course all agreements are different from state to state.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCAGal View Post

Not true, your agent owes you a fiduciary responsibility throughout the entire process. The expiration of a listing agreement really has no bearing on the transaction, but should the transaction fail to close, you are under no obligation to extend the listing.

The standard CAR form for listings has a fill in the blank space to cover any purchase made within ____ days of the expiration of the listing, however, that only applies to persons completing a purchase who were introduced to the property during the listing period. The agent must provide a seller with a list of names that were introduced during the listing period at the end of the listing if they expect to receive a commission on such a purchaser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate