Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 PM

87 posts, read 76,420 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My mother and I own 2 acres of land. She has a house on there already, and my husband and I were wanting to build our house on the other acre. I have been told that we will need parcel the land, which is fine. However, I am wondering about the cost to do so. We live in the Southern Illinois area. Has anyone had to do this, and if so, what was the cost? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
The cost will vary depending on your location. I'd check with your local zoning board for the specifics. It may not even be possible.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:42 PM

I wonder why it may not be possible. There is plenty of land to build on. But then again, we have never done this before either.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:45 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothygalestolemybroom View Post
I wonder why it may not be possible. There is plenty of land to build on. But then again, we have never done this before either.
Is it zoned residential?
Are there existing utilities?
Are there right of way or easement issues?
Are there wetlands or other environmental factors?

Just owning land isn't necessarily enough.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Is it zoned residential?
Are there existing utilities?
Are there right of way or easement issues?
Are there wetlands or other environmental factors?

Just owning land isn't necessarily enough.
Yes
Yes
No
No

We live in the country, if that helps.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You are going to have to call the county and find out what they require to do a partition.

In my area, an engineering firm has to do it and it costs $5,000-$6,000 for all the studies, maps, and surveying. There is no way for anyone to guess what your county requires, whether or not it can be a do-it-yourself project, or how much it would cost to get it all done.

Whatever you decide, do not build another house without getting the proper permits and you'll be lot better off in teh long run if you legally separate the property.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You are going to have to call the county and find out what they require to do a partition.

In my area, an engineering firm has to do it and it costs $5,000-$6,000 for all the studies, maps, and surveying. There is no way for anyone to guess what your county requires, whether or not it can be a do-it-yourself project, or how much it would cost to get it all done.

Whatever you decide, do not build another house without getting the proper permits and you'll be lot better off in teh long run if you legally separate the property.
Thank you very much for the info. We were already planning on having someone come out and survey the land. This was just another step that I was completely clueless to. We're going to call the county clerk again tomorrow to find out more info. Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:02 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothygalestolemybroom View Post
It just depends on local zoning ordinances. In some areas this kind of division of land would not be permitted for many reasons. For example, there maybe minimum lot sizes for building. In my area there is a push to preserve large parcels of land. The ability of families to divide large parcels, even in the rural parts of the county, is limited. Before you pay for a survey I would recommend again that you contact your local zoning board.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It just depends on local zoning ordinances. In some areas this kind of division of land would not be permitted for many reasons. For example, there maybe minimum lot sizes for building. In my area there is a push to preserve large parcels of land. The ability of families to divide large parcels, even in the rural parts of the county, is limited. Before you pay for a survey I would recommend again that you contact your local zoning board.
We plan on calling them as well. Thank you .

Old 04-17-2016, 07:06 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Before you pay for a survey I would recommend again that you contact your local zoning board.
Yep. What if you pay $1000 to survey it and the town says that zone needs 2 acres to subdivide. $1000 down the drain. Lots of research to do before you spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate