Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 PM

171 posts, read 790,437 times

Advertisements

I would never buy a home near power lines. I have enough mysterious health problems already. No need to add to them!

FWIW, I am not as picky about other things. I used to live across from a fire station and it never bothered me. It made me feel safe. They didn't turn on the sirens until they were on a major road. Also, the fireman would play basketball out front...so, um, yeah, I didn't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I'm sort of..I don't know what to believe about these so why not be conservative and not go there. I figure the bulk of people out there are probably in the same boat.
I agree with the forever home comment - if I didn't have to worry about resale I'd be more likely to consider it. Especially since I'm already older, I mean it would take awhile for whatever possible negative effects to occur and hey, at that point I might already be dead Otherwise, I'd rather not, but if it was my only shot at a house in a specific neighborhood, acreage or something else I really wanted but couldn't find prrrooobbbly.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Hubby and I looked at a house that had a large power line behind it. The house was awesome but we both couldn't get over the fact that it could be a danger. A while back I was watching a show on House Hunters, the couple were both doctors and one of the houses they were looking at had a large power line. The woman remarked that although the house had everything they were looking for, she didn't want to end up with cancer. So whether or not there is any proof out there, it has a stigma anyway.

The house hubby and I live in now is close to a freeway. A toll road that runs through Indiana. It is a 4 lane road with two lanes going in each direction with a large island in the middle. It is no I-75 but you can hear the traffic. My realtor said it would affect resale. You can't see it but you can hear it. She was kind of wacky and didn't want us to buy in this particular area anyway. So I asked her to show me comps of the homes in my sub for the past 5 years. All of these houses are along the toll road, all of them would have the same issue of hearing the traffic. Turns out the homes have great resale value due to this being a somewhat affluent area. I think location is also a factor but still think power lines have a stigma. I guess time will tell if I ever sell my house and people dislike my proximity to the toll road.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by art_teacher_mom View Post
I would never buy a home near power lines. I have enough mysterious health problems already. No need to add to them!

FWIW, I am not as picky about other things. I used to live across from a fire station and it never bothered me. It made me feel safe. They didn't turn on the sirens until they were on a major road. Also, the fireman would play basketball out front...so, um, yeah, I didn't mind.
"firemen playing basketball"....So your a huge basketball fan, huh??? LOL That was funny teacher!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 PM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Just curios what people's thoughts were on power lines?

Obviously they are unsightly and not good for resale value but if you found your dream house next to powerlines for a great price would you buy it?
Nope, definitely a deal breaker for me.

I do have a new appreciation for the benefits of living near a fire station now though.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,278 times
I spent the first 16 years of my life with power lines in our front yard... absolutely gorgeous property, never even really thought about the power lines the whole time I was there and was crushed when my mom sold the place to developers (long after I had moved out). I had been hoping it would at least be my parents' forever home, but it wasn't meant to be.

That said, I don't think I would buy a home near power lines, given the choice... more because of the risks of resale than of getting cancer, to be clear. I think my mom happened to get lucky in terms of finding a buyer (or a buyer--developers--finding her, more like it). The developers offered her a pretty penny for that land, and promptly threw up a heap of rowhouses almost directly beneath the power lines (our house had been set back quite a ways, since it was 2 acres)... no idea how well those have sold or not. But if my mom had gone and tried to sell the property herself, on the market... I have doubts that it would have sold quickly, if at all, due to the power lines. So thanks to the housing bubble, my mom was able to cash in and get rid of our home which may have otherwise been seen as plagued by the power lines. (I still wish she hadn't sold it, but c'est la vie.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate