U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM

151 posts, read 363,966 times

Advertisements

The thing is, I know what I want in a home---a 2 family, a nice lot, something older with character--and I know which areas I do and do not want it in. I've come pretty close twice to buying, but before I put a bid on either of the 2 homes, found some major problems with them (one: gas leases on land close by--NOT what I want to move into---the other---HUGE water issues in cellar, and the seller was not about to drop price bc of that)--so I'm still looking. I'm getting frustrated--it seems most of the homes out there are either single family, very rundown (or in bad neighborhoods) multis, or priced way out of my league and probably way more than they're worth (I do have a reasonable budget for the house considering my area). So my dilemma ensues, and I'm asking you experts what else I can do and where else to look for my new home. Where I'm looking now: on mls sites online (there are 3 available that show homes in the surrounding areas that I"m interested in), newspaper ads (for sale by owner), newspaper mls (which is the same as online, but sometimes, I think, it's seeing it with a "fresher" eye), craigslists (which is usually broker-run ads anyway), and fsbo sites. Even zillow. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere else to look? to do? or am I just going to have to wait it out? (been very seriously looking for a year now...really do want to take advantage of the lower interest rates on mortgages...)

Last edited by lorac07; 08-02-2010 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM

14,787 posts, read 35,835,831 times
If you have been looking for a year then your criteria are really restrictive. It's fine to have restrictive criteria, but you just need to know that you have to wait it out.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM

57,323 posts, read 39,383,725 times
Maybe it's time for you and or your agent to start knocking on doors or write a letter to the owners of places that look like they might meet your selective criteria on the outside.

Be prepared for owners to be suspicious of you and your intentions.

Respect that not everyone needs or wants to sell.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM

17,579 posts, read 42,398,930 times
I don't think you are missing anything. I don't think there is really any other source to find houses than what you listed.

Question, is it that you literally don't find any houses you like or you don't find any you like in your price range? You mentioned some of the houses you see are "out of your leage". I'm wondering if the problem is your expectations. Perhaps you have expensive taste on a low budget?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM

10,876 posts, read 12,649,619 times
If it's been this long and you haven't found anything, then you are just too picky. You really need to settle down and look at a few things that are absolute must haves and bend from there. People very rarely find that perfect house unless it was a new custom built home. Otherwise the MLS is the #1 place for real estate. You've got pretty much everything else covered besides maybe Forsalebyowner.com as well at buyowner.com

Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM

721 posts, read 2,797,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
The thing is, I know what I want in a home---a 2 family, a nice lot, something older with character--and I know which areas I do and do not want it in. I've come pretty close twice to buying, but before I put a bid on either of the 2 homes, found some major problems with them (one: gas leases on land close by--NOT what I want to move into---the other---HUGE water issues in cellar, and the seller was not about to drop price bc of that)--so I'm still looking. I'm getting frustrated--it seems most of the homes out there are either single family, very rundown (or in bad neighborhoods) multis, or priced way out of my league and probably way more than they're worth (I do have a reasonable budget for the house considering my area). So my dilemma ensues, and I'm asking you experts what else I can do and where else to look for my new home. Where I'm looking now: on mls sites online (there are 3 available that show homes in the surrounding areas that I"m interested in), newspaper ads (for sale by owner), newspaper mls (which is the same as online, but sometimes, I think, it's seeing it with a "fresher" eye), craigslists (which is usually broker-run ads anyway), and fsbo sites. Even zillow. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere else to look? to do? or am I just going to have to wait it out? (been very seriously looking for a year now...really do want to take advantage of the lower interest rates on mortgages...)
I really like using zillow not to specifically search for a house but to look at general areas, pricing in a neighborhood, look for other similar areas. Once I see streets or neighborhoods taht I like I generally get off zillow and begin to look at realtor.com or craigslist. Nice thing about craigslist is you see lots of FSBO that you would otherwise not see just looking at mls or realtor.com

Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM

9,886 posts, read 19,413,788 times
Take some to find a good buyer agent and then they'll help you find the home.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 PM

30 posts, read 70,366 times
Default A place to look

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
Some good places to look are realtor.com, zillow.com, billingsbyowner.com, trulia.com, yahoo real estate, hotpads.com
I hope this helps if you havent found a home yet.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 89,956 times
Are you working with a buyer's agent? If so, they should have done a thorough analysis of what your wants, needs and dreams are and they should have been able to find you something certainly by now. If now, you need to hire someone to help you. It won't cost you anything since buyer's agents are paid by the seller. How are you finding the MLS properties? Many of the online sites are not updated frequently and have old/out of date information. A realtor can get up-to-the minute listings from the MLS. There are also some loan programs out there that will help a buyer with financing improvements - have you looked into those?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM

72 posts, read 145,476 times
I agree with the other Realtors. A good buyers agent should be able to help you. Perhaps you should interview a few and find one that you click with. Also, let them know how often you want to be contacted and how they should contact you so they don't drive you crazy with tons of e-mails/phone calls etc. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate