Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM

48 posts, read 119,634 times

Advertisements

realtors rule

Last edited by Jedc43; 08-02-2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: not worth the bull

Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
So exactly how many realtors did you have a bad experience with?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
Hope you feel better. Since you didn't give us any info or tell your story not much we can offer except a little Sympathy. Hope you did your homework when you hired them and didn't hire them just because they told you what you wanted to hear or they were the cheapest.

You're never disappointed with quality.

If it makes you feel better, right now just about everything is extremely slow. I blame the tax credit that prematurely sucked in todays buyers.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM

720 posts, read 3,000,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedc43 View Post
We are in the process of selling our home in Massachusettes and we have had a very bad experience with the whole buisness.If I ever sold a house again or anyone asked me for advice I would recommend selling it yourself.I dont feel that the realtor is looking out for your best interest,just theirs.Since the housing crash everyone is on edge and no one really knows what the hell they are doing.
JMHO
JED
What don't you like about your realtor in particular? Did you "shop around" realtors before deciding on one? If so why did you pick a realtor you didn't like or did they all suck and you chose the one who sucked least?\

I agree there's plenty of bad realtors out there. My gf used to be a realtor and gave it up b/c she said they are all idiots, people make apts and dont show up, dont return calls, etc. That said its not surprising since anyone can take an internet course over the weekend and become a realtor.

Selling your house on your own is tough, you dont get much exposure with MLS. Also, you can do the FSBO and get your house listed by MLS but then you gotta show people the house yourself. I think some people are somewhat put off or uncomfortable being shown around by the owner, any complaints they have anything they say may be taken personally.

Also with a realtor you ahve them and everyone in their office who will probably take people through their own listings before another property so more exposure there.

I get it, its a huge waste of money but it also takes alot of the headache away from you.

I have to ask because you seee this a lot. Do you have one vision of what your house is worth and the realtor doesn't agree with you? Lots of people seem to get mad when a realtor tells them what their house is realistically worth.

My house is currently on the market, asking 139,900. Most everything else on my blcok is priced 150k and above which is way overpriced. One across the street and a few houses down is asking 199k. People get mad when they realize what their house is actually worth.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,142,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Selling your house on your own is tough, you dont get much exposure with MLS. Also, you can do the FSBO and get your house listed by MLS but then you gotta show people the house yourself. I think some people are somewhat put off or uncomfortable being shown around by the owner, any complaints they have anything they say may be taken personally.

I get it, its a huge waste of money but it also takes alot of the headache away from you.
So someone else gets paid to do the headache part for you AND expose your property - and it's a huge waste of money? I could look at my garbage bill annually and decide that it was a waste of money - but my alternative would be for me to cart it to the dump myself - so I gladly pay it.

For every transaction with no surprises and/or problems - there are five with plenty of both. I have had clients in the past that I could tell thought it was a waste of money (too polite to tell me, I could just tell) but changed their mind during the process.

You have to live the experience of a FSBO - then come back and say you would do it again. I have listed a lot of homes where they tried it first and gave up after becoming frustrated.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM

17,052 posts, read 14,382,303 times
I don't like people who come here to vent & complain, give absolutely no background and then never return.

So what's your point?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 PM

720 posts, read 3,000,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
So someone else gets paid to do the headache part for you AND expose your property - and it's a huge waste of money? I could look at my garbage bill annually and decide that it was a waste of money - but my alternative would be for me to cart it to the dump myself - so I gladly pay it.

For every transaction with no surprises and/or problems - there are five with plenty of both. I have had clients in the past that I could tell thought it was a waste of money (too polite to tell me, I could just tell) but changed their mind during the process.

You have to live the experience of a FSBO - then come back and say you would do it again. I have listed a lot of homes where they tried it first and gave up after becoming frustrated.
I always had the same attitude as you, waste of money paying a realtor. That said I tried listing my home myself and after a few weeks decided to hire a realtor. Grant it I negotiated my commission down to just 1% for my agent since I'm going to work with him in the future but none the less its still a lot of money.

That said if you list yourslelf if you want any chance of selling you'll need to list on MLS which will cost you a couple hundred bucks plus you'll want to lsit on trulia, zillow, etc. All of these cost money too. You do have the free sites like craigslist but after paying a million different sites and still having to show teh house yourself, hire a lawyer, etc at least for my house which is on the cheaper side it I'm not saving all that much. I can see however if you have a 500k house the commission % adds up a lot quicker than on a place like mine which is 100k.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM

10,913 posts, read 21,887,882 times
Quote:
I agree there's plenty of bad realtors out there. My gf used to be a realtor and gave it up b/c she said they are all idiots, people make apts and dont show up, dont return calls, etc. That said its not surprising since anyone can take an internet course over the weekend and become a realtor.
She quit because she failed. Let's be honest about that first. You cannot just take an internet course and become licensed. You take a class, pass a class test, then must pass a state test. To join most MLS' you have to undergo a background check. You must have a broker hire you.

Quote:
Also with a realtor you ahve them and everyone in their office who will probably take people through their own listings before another property so more exposure there.
Actually, that's not true either.

Quote:
Maybe or maybe not. Some people have different sets of skills.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,142,455 times
Quote:
I always had the same attitude as you, waste of money paying a realtor. That said I tried listing my home myself and after a few weeks decided to hire a realtor. Grant it I negotiated my commission down to just 1% for my agent since I'm going to work with him in the future but none the less its still a lot of money.

That said if you list yourslelf if you want any chance of selling you'll need to list on MLS which will cost you a couple hundred bucks plus you'll want to lsit on trulia, zillow, etc. All of these cost money too. You do have the free sites like craigslist but after paying a million different sites and still having to show teh house yourself, hire a lawyer, etc at least for my house which is on the cheaper side it I'm not saving all that much. I can see however if you have a 500k house the commission % adds up a lot quicker than on a place like mine which is 100k.
I think you totally misunderstood my entire post. My point was it is NOT a waste of money. Going on your own comments, let me give another example: I could cut my own hair, butcher it, but save a haircutting fee, which is a waste of money - BUT IT'S NOT when you consider the state of my hair.
If I save you money, negotiate a better deal for you, eliminate the headaches and keep you legal (avoiding a possible money-swallowing lawsuit in the future) - exactly how was it a waste of money?

The only way you could see it like that is if you were one of these entitled people that think no one should make a living but them - and everyone should work free for them.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,615,903 times
We have a realtor and we wish we could adopt her! She's amazing, was VERY patient with us during our YEAR long house hunting and when we finally found something we both agreed upon, she was very aggressive in getting us the house and making the deal. She's just amazing and we adore her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate