Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,297,595 times

Advertisements

Heres the deal.

I live in a swamp, no bones about it, LOL. We have water front here, and I like it. The house next door has sat vacant for over a year. I moved in here, after the previous owner abandoned that house.

I spoke to the "property management" teams number on the door. They said that HUD had taken back the house, because it was a FHA loan home.

My question is, is there a way to buy it directly from HUD? Its in better shape then the house I'm in now, except for the swampy overgrowth that threatens the house. No one has mowed, or maintained the home for over 4 months now, and this is Florida in the summer.

How would I go about that? I contacted the HUD administrator in Tampa (the closest to me?). No word back yet.

I'd hate to see the home torn down due to overgrowth, or have to pay processing fees for a real estate company. I'd rather buy the house at rock bottom from the government, straight up.

Thanks for any help, if there is any available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,763,762 times
It likely is in the foreclosure process and that does take a few months to get things going. Hire a realtor to keep an eye on the property and you can perhaps snatch it up right when it goes on the market. The house will not be torn down just from an unkept lawn. The only time they really do that is if they have not paid property taxes for years

Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,297,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It likely is in the foreclosure process and that does take a few months to get things going. Hire a realtor to keep an eye on the property and you can perhaps snatch it up right when it goes on the market. The house will not be torn down just from an unkept lawn. The only time they really do that is if they have not paid property taxes for years
You haven't seen the overgrowth, those vines are like hands grabbing the house.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,763,762 times
I'm dealing with the situation now with a foreclosed home on my block. It hasn't been mowed in months and months. It looks like a prairie with weeds the size of small trees. You can call the city about violations, though likely will fall of deaf ears. The last resort and most likely the only affective one, you will be technically breaking the law and do so at your own risk, you can go over there and mow the lawn and take down the weeds yourself.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM

212 posts, read 807,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Heres the deal.

I live in a swamp, no bones about it, LOL. We have water front here, and I like it. The house next door has sat vacant for over a year. I moved in here, after the previous owner abandoned that house.

I spoke to the "property management" teams number on the door. They said that HUD had taken back the house, because it was a FHA loan home.

My question is, is there a way to buy it directly from HUD? Its in better shape then the house I'm in now, except for the swampy overgrowth that threatens the house. No one has mowed, or maintained the home for over 4 months now, and this is Florida in the summer.

How would I go about that? I contacted the HUD administrator in Tampa (the closest to me?). No word back yet.

I'd hate to see the home torn down due to overgrowth, or have to pay processing fees for a real estate company. I'd rather buy the house at rock bottom from the government, straight up.

Thanks for any help, if there is any available.
Yes, you can buy the home from HUD but you have to go through an online bidding process once the home is listed. One nice thing about this situation is that you maybe able to purchase the home using the FHA HUD $100 down program.
You will need to find a HUD approved Realtor for this and it can be kind of a pain. For more info, go to the following link.
http://www.portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD/topics/hud_homes (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate