Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Never buy a Condo. Did I listen? No. AND the developer ended up going bankrupt. Took a huge bath on that one and lesson learned.

Also, to sell quickly, your house must be perfectly priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:47 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,867 times
2bindenver's correct. If you're looking at real estate as an investment, the number one thing to remember is you make your money/profit when you buy, not when you sell.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
2bindenver's correct. If you're looking at real estate as an investment, the number one thing to remember is you make your money/profit when you buy, not when you sell.
Agreed. Also lowest priced home in best neighborhood - not necessarily worst house. And, location. Architecturally significant - a big plus. Thing to always remember: there's always another house....

Edited to add: Deal with listing agent when it comes to competitive properties. They have incentive to have your bid accepted because they will make double the commission. In the foreclosures we have bought we have known the right number to offer by asking the right questions that didnt compromise the agents' integrity.

Last edited by fauve; 08-08-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Think resale as you buy. If it has a feature that you can "live with" someone else may not be willing to live with it when you go to sell.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:38 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,034 times
Never love anything that can't love you back! You'll always make a bad decision!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I have to say I disagree with miu. While a single family home is better than a condo - it's all local. I've made good money off buying condos. The important thing to do is to evauate the gov. & financial docs. before you buy.
Were you turning around and renting out those condos? If your rent collected was more than the mortgage, taxes and fees, then fine. But to just live in a condo as a residence, I still say that it's not worth the hassle of having bad neighbors breathing down your neck. And in this market, the values of condos have sunk just like the rest of the real estate market. So I'd rather be owning a devalued house than a devalued condo, factoring in the added monthly condo fees on top of the mortgage and property tax payments.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I used to feel that one should never buy a condo. No longer agree. Have bought some for investment and will probably live in a condo next time. Lots of things I like about them......

Deal is in the buy, not the sell.....big belief of mine.

My other truism: Don't try to be greedy on the sell side.

I haven't learned too much from RE Agents. But have had a lot of otj education.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
If you are the buyer, never talk directly to the seller before the deal is done.

If you are the seller, never talk directly to the buyer before the deal is done.

If you are going to use realtors, let them do their jobs and act as intermediators. It keeps emotion out of the picture, and stops you from agreeing to things you never meant to agree to.

______

Always buy less than the bank says you can afford.

______

When buying, make a list of your MUST HAVEs and a list of your MUST NOT HAVEs. Everything else is negotiable.

______

When selling, never let someone move in before the deal is done. You've lost all your leverage to encourage them to hurry the process at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate