Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We heard this on one of the news channels. Sorry, don't remember which one. It was about 1 month ago. Also, MSN.com had a story with a similar track about a week ago, but I can't find it. Don't remember the author. Not much help...
The economist giving the info on the TV show said that the uptick in housing prices would be due to so few new homes are being built right now that there will actually be a housing shortage by that time.

Here in my area of ATL there are only a couple of subdivisions being built. One of these is Ashton Homes--a national builder. Most of the "stick" builders are either out of business or just not building at this time, even the well respected ones.

Of course, as one poster above said, there could be an influx of homes on the market, due to backlog or boomers downsizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Now that the Fed is back pumping the market it should be obvious that things are getting worse. When taxes go up on the first of next year expect more troubles. The housing market can't thrive in this environment.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
Quote:
The economist giving the info on the TV show said that the uptick in housing prices would be due to so few new homes are being built right now that there will actually be a housing shortage by that time.

Here in my area of ATL there are only a couple of subdivisions being built. One of these is Ashton Homes--a national builder. Most of the "stick" builders are either out of business or just not building at this time, even the well respected ones.

Of course, as one poster above said, there could be an influx of homes on the market, due to backlog or boomers downsizing.
Not sure what inventory looks like in Atlanta, but up here north of Chicago, I'm beginning to wonder when people will realize that in this market, EVERY NEW HOUSE THAT GETS BUILT LOWERS THE VALUE OF THE ONES THAT ALREADY EXIST.

We've got a glut. Yet, builders keep tearing down. Owners keep building "additions" that triple the size of the original house.

If the city would promote a policy that the existing inventory should be sold before new, similar inventory is built, we'd find our way out of this a lot sooner. But no. They short sightedly see only the revenue they get from issuing permits. They don't realize that the more 3500+ sq ft homes that get built, the more the existing ones are cheapened. Literally.

You know the expression "a dime a dozen"? When you have a dozen, they cost a dime. When you have only two, they're worth a bit more.

Sorry. Venting.

Every. New. Home. That. Gets. Built. Lowers. The. Value. Of. The. Ones. That. Already. Exist. Supply. And. Demand.

Ugh.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM

75 posts, read 210,090 times
This is depressing!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I can see it now. The government paying builders not to build houses like they pay farmers not to grow crops.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
We could actually do with having a dozen of the white elephants bulldozed.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
We could actually do with having a dozen of the white elephants bulldozed.
BTDT in SoCal ...

That was over a year ago; since then, there were other developments that were razed down too.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
I remember hearing that on a news show, but it will be a long time before we have a housing shortage. While in my area home prices will probably stop declining soon, they aren't going up quickly any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a decade of price plateau. To me recovery means we aren't declining anymore.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
2013-2014

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
Recovery means jobs are once again available. Everything depends upon the buying public having jobs. Nothing recovers without them. Everyone has an opinion and even I don't listen NAR ....the stock market rises with even the slightest uptick in employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate