Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

If it's a choice between a shower/tub combo and a walk in shower I'll take the shower any time. The combo it just too akward for me to use comfortably. If there is a tub elsewhere then you are good to go. In fact, I've read recently that the trend is to rip out those big jacuzzi tubs, that most people never use, and replace them with a large walk in shower/spa type thing. Tubs are for washing children and pets as far as I'm concerned. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 AM

180 posts, read 794,146 times
I did question the resale value in this home when I saw that it has just a walk in shower for the master bath. Admittedly, my husband and I are not "bath people" but we are glad for the tub in the 2nd bathroom since we have kids and dogs. Our realtor pointed out that unless someone has remodeled, that is what you will find in all the houses in this neighborhood.

I have to tell you, I love not having to scrub another tub. It is so much easier to squeegie and keep a shower clean IMO.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I asked this question and basically most everyone I asked LOVES a great big shower over a shower/tub combo when there is access to another tub in the home. No other tub, keep the combo.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
I've been asking the same question recently and discussing with my wife... I want to forgo the tub for a kick ass walk in shower, as well.

Price point probably matters big here because I can't believe there's even been a couple of replies that no tub is a "deal breaker"... like even with an agreed upon allowance to put one back (if it was that important)? I can't imagine those cheap fglass combos or even the "separate" claustrophobia shower next to the cheap fglass tub would make that much difference??

I mean seriously - I bath my kids in the other baths and I can't imagine a luxurous candle lit bath in that cheap piece o' crud I see in most master baths. There's such a huge difference talking about the "tub" as if you're taking out an oversized clawfoot porcelain one. If baths are that important, you'd want to put that in anyway. Deal breaker?? wow

Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I think as long as you have a bathtub somewhere in the house, a shower is perfectly fine in the master. I'm currently renovating a 60's rancher and opted to do just that . . . shower/bath combo in shared bath and walk-in shower in master bath.
Completely agree!

We have a beautiful big walk in in our master but a nice tub in the guest bath

Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
One of the determining factors of a home we bought was that it had a large shower we could roll a wheelchair in. People are getting older. We did some more retrofit for my mother so we could go curbless and she has the master.

But it *does* have a separate Jacuzzi tub in the MBR as well as the 5' shower.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
When we moved in here the kids were little so we used the tub in the Master bath. During a remodel 10-12 years ago we removed it in favor of a large walk in shower. Now it's time for another remodel- the last one I'm sure before we sell to downsize sometime in the not so distant future- should we add the tub back in now? No room for separate tub and walk in shower so it will have to be a combo- how necessary is a tub in the master bath? (there is a tub in another bathroom- just not in the Master)
It's funny your quesiton, came up, my house has a small bathroom but I was recently helping my parents with their master bath, they were considering getting rid of the large tub. In the past 10 years they have probably used it one time, it cant even be filled before the water heater runs out of hot water its so big.

When talking to people baout whether to remove it for a large shower people kept saying no. It's kinda funny, even though a large hottub will alost never be used people still like to have it. I would't worry too much about it for resale though.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
We have a shower/tub combo, although I never take a bath. Recently I had surgery on my foot and wore a bandage on it and couldn't get it wet. So I had to take a bath with my foot propped up on the side. Even after the dressing was changed, I had to sit on a chair while showering.

So you never know when you might have to have a bathtub.

I'd say not having a tub is something that would hurt more than it would help.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:34 PM

29 posts, read 107,192 times
In my market, it's a big negative. Buyers might not ever get in the tub, but they all claim to want it.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
It's an 80's thing.

Green (not in color) showers seem to be all the rage, not soaking tubs or jacuzzi's that people think they will use, until they never do, let alone have to take care of one. They're typically big dust collectors.

So I say: you don't need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate