Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Maybe...? Maybe...? Maybe...?
NO. No negatives to a cash offer, other than the fact that money is so cheap to borrow right now, why tie up cash?
We are in the sweet spot for home loans right now, IMO..
But, if an unencumbered deed, no monthly payment, or poor credit are motivators, "Cash is King."
My sentiments exactly.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Are you lowballing?

Seller's usually find cash the most favorable as far as terms go. No loan approval, sometimes no appraisal...

Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Is making a cash offer negative for you as a buyer in anyway?
Yes. Why would you pay all cash for a home if you can borrow money at less that 4% with tax deductible interest?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I've been able to buy houses with immediate cash deals a number of times.

The seller knew for certain that I was going to close on the property on or before a date that met their needs, and not have to worry about me qualifying for a loan, or worried about a lender's appraisal coming in too low so that the financing was in doubt or I needed to come up with more cash at the closing.

My offers were accompanied by a refundable 25% earnest money deposit if the seller couldn't close the deal for any reason on their part. That 25% deposit gets their attention real fast, especially if they've seen offers with $1,500 earnest money from other people that weren't necessarily qualified buyers.

It's nice when you go to a closing and it's the title company rep, the buyer, and the seller. Almost no paperwork to complete the deal, and no long drawn out mortgage closing to secure the funds at that time.

Another advantage to a cash deal ... as a buyer, I've had lenders play games with holiday weekends and other excuses (72 hour right of recission, courier time delay, bank float, etc) to not fund a loan. But they were charging me interest on the loan from the day it was closed. Yes, 7% or 8% interest on 7-14 days isn't a daunting number. But it's the principle of it that bothers me ... charging me interest for money which you have not delivered but we've closed on the property.

I've had this game played on me a couple of times doing re-fi's, too ... and then I got caught in the situation where the old lender hadn't been paid off yet, so they were still charging me interest while the new lender was charging me interest. Paying on two 1st mortgages at the same time for one property is against my values.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Ouch! I wish you had a buyer's agent. Since you don't - you should get a lawyer.

You are clear on insurance - that's good. I don't know your state laws - here in Colorado a buyer doesn't have to buy the home if the home is not insurable - but that varies by state.

You would only need an appraisal if you are uncertain about the value of the house. In a typical transaction with a lender - the lender requires the appraisal. If the home doesn't appraise for the purchase price, the seller will need to lower the sales price or the buyer may walk away. If you had a buyer's agent s/he could have pulled comps and determined the value of the house.

Cash deals are great. I've purchased and sold cash - it's easy, saves a ton of money and every one is happy.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
Ouch! I wish you had a buyer's agent. Since you don't - you should get a lawyer.

You are clear on insurance - that's good. I don't know your state laws - here in Colorado a buyer doesn't have to buy the home if the home is not insurable - but that varies by state.

You would only need an appraisal if you are uncertain about the value of the house. In a typical transaction with a lender - the lender requires the appraisal. If the home doesn't appraise for the purchase price, the seller will need to lower the sales price or the buyer may walk away. If you had a buyer's agent s/he could have pulled comps and determined the value of the house.

Cash deals are great. I've purchased and sold cash - it's easy, saves a ton of money and every one is happy.

I will be contacting my attorney before making the bid.I will find out about house insurance or make sure the lawyer writes that into the contract (contingent upon attaining house insurance).

I am not uncertain about the value of the home in anyway. I have been following the market/that area for over 3 years so there is no guessing at all on my part.

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes. Why would you pay all cash for a home if you can borrow money at less that 4% with tax deductible interest?

Why would you lose the whopping 1.5% interest on your savings and pay 4% for a mortgage? Ummm, 2.5% minus the measly tax advantages. Unless you're in a bracket where you need a loss.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Why would you lose the whopping 1.5% interest on your savings and pay 4% for a mortgage? Ummm, 2.5% minus the measly tax advantages. Unless you're in a bracket where you need a loss.
The assumption is over the long run, the cash not used to pay for the house can be invested for a significantly higher rate of return. Would you borrow money at 4% if you could invest at 8%?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
The assumption is over the long run, the cash not used to pay for the house can be invested for a significantly higher rate of return. Would you borrow money at 4% if you could invest at 8%?
If the 8% was guaranteed, I might consider it. Without an iron clad guarantee there is no way.

OP, I have bought my last 3 homes with cash. There is no reason for me to borrow, pay huge fees, pay interest. The savings beats the "tax break" every single day of the week, short term and long term.

I have never had a seller assume that there was a bottomless bag 'o cash in my hand. I have had closings as quick as 8 days.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Why would you pay 4% if all you can earn on the money is 1%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate