Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
The real estate person is coming to tomorrow to discuss the situation.. Have no idea what they have up their sleeve....Hope it is something that will ratify the situation, if not my husband is going to hit the roof! He has already made an appointment with a lawyer for this coming Tuesday...
I would not have the realtor come and meet with you without meeting at the attorney's office.

Call the realtor and put it off until AFTER you have met with the attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,116 times
Will do! Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie
... You trust people and then get the shaft. ...
Correction:

This should read:

"If you trust people, you will then get the shaft."

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:32 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
The fact that the AC guy condemned the AC unit 8 years ago and that information wasn't disclosed to you by the seller is very powerful evidence. The burden of proof lies with you for proving that the seller/listing agent knew about the defects but failed to disclose them.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

225 posts, read 425,886 times
Oh I'm terribly sorry, that's awful. I am in a similiar situation. No problems were disclosed to me and then we moved in and started smelling horrible odors. It has been a nightmare, I'm sure you feel the same way.

You definitely want to get a lawyer, although, believe me I know it's very hard to afford. I am a single-mother going through this situation and I don't know how I am doing it. I've gone through a lot of money (lawyers expenses as well as expenses lost as a result of that house), but I can't give up...I've got too much invested.

Maybe once you speak with a lawyer he can give you some sort of direction. Like what kind of fees you're looking at, how long this could drag out, do you have a good chance, etc.

The sellers of my house (who were also the realtors) are doing a great job of dragging this lawsuit out. I'm still paying the mortgage, as well as rent for a place to live. So you are still living in the house? Maybe try and call a health inspector or something. You can't live in a house full of mold. You will become very sicker by the day. Although, I know what it's like to not have anywhere else to go. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, those sellers should be ashamed of themselves (but probably aren't!)

The news station/newspaper is also a great idea. I still want to do that as well, but want to get a little further into this lawsuit before I go doing that. I would give it a try. It would get your story out there. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Do you have insurance? I would talk to your agent ASAP.

btw, why would someone in their middle seventies and in poor health buy a house and be out of state for the inspection? Most jurisdictions have prosecutors that take a special interest in going after swindlers that prey on the elderly. You might want to work the angle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate