Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 18,651 times

Advertisements

Is this considered fraud should the buyer quit his current job soon after closing escrow, and start a law school while having a part-time job? The buyer never lied on his employment history, income, tax, etc during the loan process. He has not yet turned in his resignation notice to his current employer. His savings and part-time job can pay for the mortgage + tax + living cost. If his lender finds out he quit, what is gonna happen? By the way he got loaned by a direct lender where his mortgage broker belongs and they will resell the loan to a different loaner after close of escrow. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,907 times
The lender will verify his employment. If the employer says the buyer is quitting, the lender will want to reunderwrite the loan based on the income of the part time job.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Yes, it would be considered fraud because he has to sign something that says he doesn't foresee any changes in his employment... BUT prove it! He hasn't given notice yet and he would deny it if asked. Once the loan is funded, the lender can't do anything about it unless/until he misses payments and gets foreclosed on. If he stays current on his payments, they're not going to care.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
People with mortgages quit their jobs everyday.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
The lender will verify his employment. If the employer says the buyer is quitting, the lender will want to reunderwrite the loan based on the income of the part time job.
Well the employer wouldn't say such a thing. The lender will ask is so and so employed here and how much does he make. The employer will say yes he does and he makes x and that will be the end of discussion.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Well the employer wouldn't say such a thing. The lender will ask is so and so employed here and how much does he make. The employer will say yes he does and he makes x and that will be the end of discussion.
These days, though, who knows. When I got my loan last year, the lender used a written VOE (verification of employment), and one of the questions asked was the likelihood of continued employment.

It's a far cry from a few years ago, when the only verification of employment, was whether or not someone worked there. Some lenders were so lax about it that the verification was performed by the loan officer or broker.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:51 PM

573 posts, read 1,690,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
These days, though, who knows. When I got my loan last year, the lender used a written VOE (verification of employment), and one of the questions asked was the likelihood of continued employment.
I'm in the middle of refinancing my house through SunTrust and the officer asked this question to my boss....I wouldn't doubt that it's standard throughout the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate