Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Carole and Morgan Christian worried about the safety of their kids because drivers constantly exceeded the 25 mph speed limit near their home.

homeowner associations crack down on violators - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Yet another story that makes me glad I bought in a non-HOA neighborhood.

I don't know why people assume that my neighbors have purple houses with lime green trim and rusted-out El Caminos on blocks in the front yard. My neighborhood is beautiful.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I actually have one of those, "and they lived happily ever" after HOA stories. Our HOA was formed in 1989 and one of our neighbors kept saying they were grandfathered and not subject to the HOA Marshalls. The HOA seemed to leave him alone, but he was secluded, so we didn't pay much attention.

Then the HOA started flexing it's muscles and life was miserable.....a few of us in the business started pulling the Deed of Dedication and found that Section 1 of our subdivision was never properly annexed into the fold. When it hit the fan, we won and it was found the HOA never had any real power, even though we had common land. In other words, if you didn't want to use the common area (boat ramp,park trails) you didn't have to pay. And the rest of the restrictions and policing went out the window. And a civic association was born.

So, sometimes the little guy can win.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Since when is it OK to place a sign in the middle of the street? If not the HOA, then the police should have an issue with it.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Since when is it OK to place a sign in the middle of the street? If not the HOA, then the police should have an issue with it.
I sympathize with them if people are speeding around their home; nobody likes that whether they have children or not but they are not allowed to take the law into their own hands and put a sign in the street. That would be illegal most places, HOA or not.

If they are that concerned then instead of putting up dorky signs they should circulate a petition in the neighborhood or lobby their HOA to have speed bumps put in. But since most people don't like those sort of road calming measures they just want to control other peoples' behavior. I drive slowly through neighborhoods but I also roll my eyes at those "children at play" signs that people put in their yards. If your kids are playing out FRONT, BE THERE WATCHING THEM. It's not rocket science.

I'm not bashing these people, but at the same time this is kind of a stupid example of an HOA "abusing" its power. I think the HOA was right to tell them to get their signs out of the road and speeding is a law enforcement issue anyway. The HOA can't do anything about that.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 PM

163 posts, read 452,664 times
We have a neighbor who apparently yells at drivers who speed down our street. There are lots of children and animals at play in the front yards and she says she's just looking out for everyone. I'm not sure if she's responsible for the cars creeping down our street or if they're slowing down because they see all the parents watching them, but speeding doesn't seem to be a problem here.

If signs were a deterrent drivers would follow the posted speed limits. Another sign isn't going to slow someone down but knowing that there is an adult standing there watching them probably will.

Other than that, I think the HOAs in that story are ridiculous. If you live in a condo it makes sense to have a body governing the common areas but beyond that it just gets silly.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If they are that concerned then instead of putting up dorky signs they should circulate a petition in the neighborhood or lobby their HOA to have speed bumps put in. ...
It can be done. We had a lot of speeding on the major street into our subdivision. Our HOA spearheaded a drive to get the needed homeowner signatures to have our city put in speed bumps.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 PM

274 posts, read 709,030 times
Yeah, we had that vote too. I will have a speed bump in front of my home, which will most probably not make a difference in behaviour. There's a day school across the street, so parents are otherwise distracted.

My favorite sight would be a "child at play" temp sign placed in front of the house where the young ones launch themselves into the street on their skateboards. Then they go down to the local shopping center and challenge drivers there. It takes a village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
It can be done. We had a lot of speeding on the major street into our subdivision. Our HOA spearheaded a drive to get the needed homeowner signatures to have our city put in speed bumps.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I had a speed bump directly in front of my old house. One of the appraisers made a comment about it ~ that he had never seen one right in front of someone's house. My son was 6 years old when we moved there and believe me, I was most happy to have that speed bump in front of my house. Cars zoomed up and down all day at speeds much faster than 25 mph. If nothing else, they slowed down before they got to MY house.

Haha - when they first put it in, I thought everyone was slowing down to look at my garden! Then I figured it out! Didn't take long cause my garden was not that great.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
We live in a non-HOA neighborhood and still have a good number of deed restrictions about what we can and cannot do with our property. No fences in the front yard is on the list, even if they're white picket, and there are also rules about limiting the size of outbuildings and not allowing garage conversions to living space.

The deed restrictions end up being essentially very detailed zoning rules- if you try to pull a permit for a 500 square foot workshop out back, to put in a fence, or closing off a garage, the county will then come back and tell you your lot is not zoned for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate