Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM

240 posts, read 537,371 times

Advertisements

Texas.......most rural, farming counties here have few, if any, building restrictions. The county where I reside has only one code enforcement officer for the entire county, and I've never seen him out and about in my area. Land here, approximately 40 miles from Dallas, is still very affordable, and I have seen one acre lots in the $5,000.00, price range. As far as I know, the lakefront community I presently live in has no square footage restrictions; my place is a brick two story, 2230 sq. ft., on 1 1/2 acres, and next door is a 900 sq. ft. wood frame on the same size lot.

Search the Internet for small town real estate webpages for good sources, and good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino/12 View Post
I own a MH live in Tampa Fl. Have the same problem. Nobody want you w/ your MH AROUND THEM. Do you know any land for sale in this area
I don't have livestock an I don't to have any in the future
You really need to give some indication of where in the Tampa area you are, yes you are going to have a hard time finding a place to put a mobile home right near downtown Tampa but there are many places close by where you can find a piece of land that is zoned for mobiles.
Your problem is going to be the age of the mobile, getting approval to reset an older mobile will be harder than finding the land.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,862 times
There are some Vermont towns that do not have zoning requirements...and in Vermont, there are large parcels and small.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 12,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxine View Post
Let me know if you have any luck, please. I've been looking for about the same thing, though I want to put or build a "tiny house" on my land. Not too crazy about desert areas.....water concerns.
Did you find any land that was satisfactory? Do you have any recommendations? I'm looking for some privacy, woodland, with our without a home on lot

Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Alaska

Old 12-31-2013, 11:46 AM

154 posts, read 691,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
How do i find what i want? I'm looking for 1 or 2 acres or less of land for sale anywhere in the U.S. that dosen't have restrictions. I don't mind if it is forested, desert, rocky or anything that some people may not want. All i can seem to find searching on the internet are big chunks of land like 50 acres and up or if i do find smaller lots like i want, it is in a subdivison with restrictions such as 1500 sq. ft. minimums or something like that. How do i find just 1 unrestricted acre of land for sale in the U.S. for a reasonable price, like $5000 or under? Is there a website for these types of purchases or do i ask a state agency or what? I asked a realator about this and he said he didn't know, but i think he just didn't want to help me since i wasn't buying a 400k house and he wasn't going to make any comission off of me. Somebody help me out please. Thanks.
AANTV (America's Auction Network | AAN - 1-800-269-9629 - www.AANtv.com) periodically auctions off lots of various sizes in failed AZ subdivisions that sell in the low thousands. Please note, this isn't an endorsement of these properties -- but if you watch some of the auctions it will give you an idea of what you may have to put up with if you find a lot with few or no building restrictions. Most of the properties are without well or septic (they mention water being trucked in) and miles from town on dirt roads. I personally wouldn't buy anything like this without seeing it in person and talking to some of the locals first.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
Lots of parcels for sale in TN with few to no restrictions other than septic - and that's a state restriction.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
To the OP, I've been doing research on the codes in my county in Southern California, and so far I've found that all of the cities in my area have minimum size rules for new homes - but if you get outside of the city limits, then the county codes apply - and so far, the only thing I can find is that at least one room must be 120 square feet or more, and all habitable rooms must have a dimension of at least seven feet, in each direction - so if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like a smaller house might be acceptable? I want a house that's between 800-1000 square feet - which was a normal size house not that long ago - but today it's not easy to build a house that size - so I'm hoping I can get it approved outside of the city limits.
Ok, so you are not really talking about 'no restrictions', you are talking about places that allow small houses.

You don't have to be rural. In smaller cities, but not in suburbs, there are normally no size restrictions, or just the 120 square feet one (which is needed if you are going to have enough oxygen to not asphyxiate in your sleep, unless you have a permanent open window or vent).

City lots are usually 1/3 acre or so, though. Why do you want 1-2 acres? Since you don't care if it's desert you are clearly not planning to grow food.

Yes, every piece of land in the US is currently owned by someone. The fact that you ask this question tells me that you need to do few years of research and learning before you buy something .

Also, why not just buy a house of the size you want? As you said, there are millions of them in existence, as they used to be the norm.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
I took a little look around for you, online.

I think a problem you are going to run into is that 1-2 acres is not a 'normal' size.

Rural land in most (maybe all) areas has a minimum parcel size of 5, 10, or 20 acres. And urban lots are usually less than half an acre.

I'm not sure where a 1-2 acre parcel would be legal to sell, outside of planned subdivisions (which are exactly the places you want to avoid). I only know about the west though. Maybe it's different in places where 'rural' is more densely populated?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,591 times
It sounds like you're wanting to build similar to those from the Tiny House Movement, is that right? If so, my husband and I are in the same boat as you are. I've looked at buying land options but not so much the restrictions side of things. We're trying to find something close to Salt Lake City, UT. Anyway, I was considering asking farmers or those who own big chunks of land for just an acre or less as well. I'm very curious to see how things work out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate