Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperallergic View Post
thanks Garth... how would i know the home inspector is good enough.. ?? should i take one of my realtor's partners.. she has some people who work for her .. or should i just go out and find one myself??
Oh goodness. That's a hard question for me to answer.

First, let me say that just because a Realtor has them on their list does not make them a bad inspector. However, for me, it makes me question them. A Realtor does not want a deal runied by a too thorough inspection that finds lots of seriously bad stuff. That's why they would have a motivation for suggesting someone who only meets the most minimal investigative standards. It doesn't mean that this is always the case. It would just make me question the inspector a little more.

I would suggest starting with inspectors that are part of a professional organization. Again, it doesn't guarantee that they're the best. It only means that they've taken the time to get themselves certified and that they have been through some classes. Here's a link to one organization: International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI)

Next, I would interview them and ask to see one of their prior inspection reports. Take a look at what they found and if they appear thorough. I would ask them about their thoroughness and explain that you want a more critical eye than just seeing if the GFCIs work or the lights turn on. Ask them if they will be able to offer such performance.

I would also ask about their knowledge and training about the building codes. Will they be able to comment on code problems? For example, years ago I asked an inspector about the UBC (Uniform Building Codes). His reply was, "What's the UBC?" That told me a lot and I passed on him.

Today I would ask about the IBC (International Building Code that replaced the UBC). Even if I know nothing about any IBC section, just asking about it might get the same response I got from the UBC guy. It would save me a lot of grief.

Just remember that no inspectors will do destructive testing on the house. You can't expect them to tear open the walls, so if a problem is hidden, they aren't superman and they won't be able to find it. You can't blame them for that.

There is one way that you can improve your chances of finding hidden problems. It's particularly helpful in finding hidden water damage. Find an inspector who is trained and certified in the use of an Infrared camera. It can find temperature differences in hidden areas, like behind walls, that result from water intrusion, electrical problems, missing insulation and other things. It's amazing.

Of course you don't want to rely solely on the IR camera inspection. You want the usual stuff, too. I would just recommend it as an additional part of the inspection.

After I first saw the results of an IR inspection, I went out and bought my own camera. It's made by FLIR (Foward Looking InfraRed), the company that makes the IR cameras on police helicopters. I use it for diagnostics on my rentals and in my own home. With it, I've found thin insulation areas, insulation missing from wall cavities, air intrusion originating at the baseplates and entering the home, and leaking windows. It's been a wonderful tool.

I would not recommend that you go out and buy one for yourself. They're VERY expensive and you need training to read the pictures. However, it's an invaluable tool in the hands of a good inspector.

I would also highly recommend that you get a radon inspection. There are two ways to do it. One is with the bag that they hang in the house and the other is with a machine that tests the air over a 48 to 72 hour period.

The issue with the bag is that it only gives you one average radon reading and you can't tell if it's been messed with by the residents. You won't be able to tell if they moved it outside during the test or opened the windows to get fresh air in the house.

The radon machine is different. It can tell if it's been moved. It can also tell if someone opened a window in the house. Each of these things will give falsely lower radon readings. That is why I recommend the machine. You'll be confident that the reading was accurate.

I hope those suggestions have helped a little. Perhaps if you start a new thread about finding a good home inspector, you might get some other responses.

Again, good luck!

Last edited by garth; 09-17-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
......A Realtor does not want a deal runied by a too thorough inspection that finds lots of seriously bad stuff. ...
Better a ruined deal than a lawsuit and unhappy new owner who will not be giving referrals. Most agents I know want the best inspection possible to limit future problems, and end up with a client happy with their new home.

The rest of your advice is very good.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Better a ruined deal than a lawsuit and unhappy new owner who will not be giving referrals. Most agents I know want the best inspection possible to limit future problems, and end up with a client happy with their new home.

The rest of your advice is very good.
I agree. Misrepresentation is the #1 source of lawsuits and I'd take a buyer backing out over a future lawsuit any day.

Otherwise, I agree that an inspector with a Thermal Imager is invaluable. I've seen lots of leaks that you can't see with the naked eye with that thing. It's a great tool, but it doesn't replace the rest of the inspection either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate