Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:42 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,474 times

Advertisements

The way a lot of them access this info is via your credit report. Companies can actually buy basic info from your credit report and lists of people who just got a new home loan and things of the sort directly from the 3 (now 4) credit reporting agencies. It's kinda messed up.

If people call before 8AM, find out who it is...it's illegal and they will owe you a statutory fine of 500 big bucks....so keep track of that.

Well, good luck everyone!!!

~Joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
To the OP- when you first got your mortgage they usually send you an Opt out form also. The 1-900# is good also. But you need to get your mortgage company to stop giving out your name from promos. If you never got the opt out form- call them!.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post
Yes, this belongs in this forum I want to ask if there was ever a point in the buying & closing process that I could've opted out of the cold-calls and the MASSIVE piles of junk mail I now get, trying to get me to buy everything under the sun-- from life insurance to water delivery to mortgage insurance. I am also getting very annoyed at the intrusive phone calls, asking me for personal details (like how much I spend on groceries and what I do for a living), then having the telemarketer offended when I politely say I'm not interested!

I'm a first time homeowner and I wish someone could've warned me about this. I've signed up for the do-not-call list, but that takes 30 days to take effect. It's such a hassle to shred all the junk mail and I'm now not answering my phone in fear of being accosted by a telemarketer. I lived a pretty quiet existence as a renter... getting mail and calls only from people I knew and wanted to communicate with.

If any of you have answers, it's a bit too late for me, but out of curiosity's sake (and perhaps I can pass the advice along to friends)-- could I have opted out of all this beforehand?

Thank you!
Should have protected yourself on day one,if you have state do it along with federal.Otherwise like spam.Here in Florida I have yet to receive one.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
The people I purchased this house from were expecting a baby, so of course they got all that sort of trash mail. When they moved they didn't have their mail forwarded, they changed the address with the people they wanted to still get mail from.

Now the baby mailings come in MY name...offers for formula, diapers...my baby is 10 years old and well past all of that.

I am on the do not call list, if a telemarketer calls here anyway...if I am feeling peeved that day, I cut loose on them, I like to think it will give them something to talk about around the dinner table that night.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
You can also use ColdCallBlocker.com

It block calls on your home landline phone through your computer. check it out

Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM

40 posts, read 262,918 times
Got moved into our new house about 3 weeks ago. We could not keep our old phone number, so we were forced to accept a new home number.

Within 24 hours of having the new phone number hooked up in the new house, we got 5 spam phone calls. Now, 3 weeks later, we are getting 5 per HOUR (during daytime spam hours). This is insane. I've already hit the do-not-call website, and the 31 days for it to take effect is going to seem like an eternity.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,584 times
You can write to the credit companies like Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. You only have to pick one. They can take you off the junk mail list.
I finally had to do that as I was getting so much junk mail it became a full time job to shred my personal information. I could not get to my bills. It worked.

One fun thing to do is take the junk they send you, stuff it back into the prepaid envelope they send with it and mail it right back to them. Just don't mail your preprinted
name and address back with it.
Putting notes on those like stop sending junk does no good at all. I would sit in my car going thru my junk mail, and just stuff their crap right back in and put it right back into the mailbox for pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate