Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Is the area the house is located a place where you expect to see increases in prices in coming years? Do you have sentimental attachment to the home or does it have something unique for the area you wouldn't be able to find again if you were back looking on the housing market?

If not, I'd be inclined to sell the house and park the money in a low risk investment like money market, CDs or bonds that gets you 3% a year. Because you probably aren't going to see more than 3% gross appreciation in many housing markets in coming years, and by the time you add in taxes, insurance, management, utility fees (my electric company charges you $25 a month to have an account with them, even if the amount of power you use in a month is essentially zero) it takes a pretty strong belief in future real estate appreciation to have it make sense to deal with the carrying costs when you can sell it and park the proceeds in a low risk investment that is still likely to get you a better return.
Why is it that people don't understand planning for a rainy day?

As I've said, I don't want to sell the house for various reasons, some of them including the fact that it's a very cheap safety net for myself or my children if anything major ever happens that we can't afford to live elsewhere.

Anyway, thanks to those in this thread who have given me some constructive advice to work with. I'm shopping around for a PM firm that can fulfill my needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Seems like it is good planning for a rainy day if you're open to the idea that it might financially make sense to not get caught up in what could be high carrying costs for the property and change the investment to something that wasn't associated with high carrying costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate