Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,339 times

Advertisements

I am finally getting ready to buy a house. I have been looking and saving and waiting for 3 years now. Prices have come down in my area a lot. I know they will come down even more, but I am way past ready to take the plunge.

So I am looking closely at 2 houses. Both are walking distance to my kids' schools and a park, which would make my life easier. Both are the same price.

House 1 - foreclosure, 1900 sq ft, 2 story, all bedrooms on the 2nd floor, in a neighborhood with smaller lots and it feels somewhat claustrophobic, 2 car garage (I really only need 1 car or none), beautiful kitchen

House 2 - non-foreclosure, 1 story, smaller at 1500-1600sq ft but enough for my family, no garage (the garage was converted to a 4th bedroom), small lot that is not fenced but backs up to a conservation area with trees which would be extremely private

I am used to living in a one-story. I am thinking it would be more practical and I could live in it well into old age when my kids are grown and out of the nest. Any thoughts or insights on living in a 1 vs 2 story house? This is my first house so I'm so worried about making the wrong decision. I know I am stuck with it for a long time.

Edit: I am currently living in a 3 bedroom 1250 sq ft house with no garage, so both houses would be a step up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I would go with the 2 story house. Alot of value in a good kitchen and a 2 car garage.
Or, I'd keep looking for a single level home with better assets.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I would go with the 2 story house. Alot of value in a good kitchen and a 2 car garage.
Or, I'd keep looking for a single level home with better assets.
So true about the value.

Yesterday when I was carrying groceries into the house in the rain, I was thinking how nice it would be to have a garage to pull into lol!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Another vote for #1 for the value aspect. More interior space, a nice kitchen, and a garage are major pluses. Besides, the flip side to a larger lot is more maintenance.

As for one story versus two ... a two story house means stairs ... which mean you can save on a gym membership by exercising up and down on the stairs right at home instead.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I agree with everyone so far about garages and kitchens. I wouldn't buy a house without a garage...although you are in Wilmington and I am in Chicago.

The natural area behind house 2 would be great, but I would still lean toward #1, only knowing what I know here.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Based on how buyers buy out here, house #1, based on what you said, would have better resale. The garage is a big deal because even though most people don't park their cars in a garage, they need a place to store their stuff.

No garage is a big turnoff out here, and those homes are hard to sell. The exception being if you are in an Historic area of town where a lack of a garage is more common.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 AM

134 posts, read 514,497 times
In my family - the beautiful kitchen is normally the killer. We spent lots of time here and in our current home it is next to the family room. I would love "a conservation area with trees which would be extremely private" and a good backyard but kitchen is top priority with my wife who has the final say. "claustrophobic" is not good but then again can't have everything is life.

Location location location is important. Being close to school to us is important. A park is bonus. How safe is the neighborhood?

As for 1 or 2 story - a lot depends on the houses next door. I hate to have a single story when the houses next door are 2 story. We have a 1 story surrounded by 1 story houses - nice neighbors. Having lived in 2 story homes, the 1 story is kinder to the body/feet.
"...old age when my kids are grown and out of the nest."
I think this would be too early for consideration. A lot can change....

Car garage is nice. Good for car and driver for rain, snow and sun - and reduce chance of car break-in. Also you can store other stuff in the unused space. You will get used to it.

Oh - all the extra space (a step up) will surely grow on you - we quickly find some use for the additional space - nothing wasted and at the very least good for declutering.

So kinda agree with the rest "emotionally" and for value aspect. However as Narfcake pointed out, other practical consideration is the age/repair/maintenance requirements for the house.

Best thing - your patience and responsible lifestyle has pay off - just enjoy your new home (which ever you decide)
"been looking and saving and waiting for 3 years now."

Last edited by landbox; 09-30-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
I have a 3 story bungalow house. My energy bills are 1/3 of what my friend's house is for the same square footage. His house was a slab house a few blocks away. It's sometimes a pain walking up/down stairs, but the energy savings are great, and it is very cozy in the winter.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Another vote for #1 for the value aspect. More interior space, a nice kitchen, and a garage are major pluses. Besides, the flip side to a larger lot is more maintenance.

As for one story versus two ... a two story house means stairs ... which mean you can save on a gym membership by exercising up and down on the stairs right at home instead.
Lol yes I would stay in shape!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I agree with everyone so far about garages and kitchens. I wouldn't buy a house without a garage...although you are in Wilmington and I am in Chicago.

The natural area behind house 2 would be great, but I would still lean toward #1, only knowing what I know here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Based on how buyers buy out here, house #1, based on what you said, would have better resale. The garage is a big deal because even though most people don't park their cars in a garage, they need a place to store their stuff.

No garage is a big turnoff out here, and those homes are hard to sell. The exception being if you are in an Historic area of town where a lack of a garage is more common.
Garages are not as much of a big deal here...as it doesn't really snow here. In my price range many houses don't have a garage, or the owner converted it for more space. I see a lot of backyard sheds to store bikes, lawn mowers, etc. I'll have to ask my real estate agent how important it is for resale. The more I think about it though, the more I see a huge benefit of having a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate