Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 AM

26 posts, read 66,668 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - so here's my situation:

I bought a condo in April for $200k, (listing price $210k) and put 3.5% down + paid closing costs... I installed new pergo floors, painted, and the place looks 100% better.

The condo is too small, and now my fiance and I want to look for a house in PA (we live in NJ) where home prices + property taxes are much lower. We would both be happier living together in a bigger place!!

We would put both of our names on the deed/title - but my question is, can both of our credits get approved for the mortgage loan amount? or just his b/c I already have this condo + mortgage in my name?

I know I will be losing several thousand dollars which sucks, but hopefully I can sell the place for $215k and get something back! the market is going down, so I would have to get another appraisal to see how much my place is worth? how does that work?

In the end we want to live together, get married, and start a family. there is no room in this condo.. its too small - we need a house to live comfortably. I will also save alot of money every month. Instead of paying $2k/mo for mortgage, taxes, HOA Fee + utilities, I'll probably be paying half of that once we live together.. and I'll have spending money - something I DO NOT HAVE whatsoever now! (now I have about $100-$150 a week to spend on whatever I want - but that usually goes to food)

any advice? should I proceed to do this? are there any other suggestions/ideas of other things to do? I'm confused and don't know how to proceed in the right direction. Im 26 years old and this was my first place ever purchased. I would rent, but it's too stressful to worry about someone paying my mortgage, etc.

can someone please help!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
1. Sell condo first
2. Buy new place

Doing the reverse will be a recipe for disaster.

And you may be losing much more than several thousand dollars. Talk to some RE agents and get them to do an analysis and tell you what your condo is worth.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,628 times
Ultimately you're flipping the condo without intending to. The problem is you paid market value (I'm assuming) instead of buying at a less than market value, in turn, being able to make a profit when you sell. Also, it's concerning that you only end up with $150 or less a week after your expenses...I'm supprised you qualified for that mortgage with those numbers.

The only way to know for sure about qualifying for another mortgage is to speak with a mortgage professional. It's possible (and probable) that you won't qualify for an addl mortgage.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
I'd say slow down - you clearly rushed into this purchase without thinking it through properly, given the fact that it doesn't meet any of your needs and you can't afford it. Talk to a pro and find out what a realistic value is for your current place and go from there.

Plus if you are getting married and plan to start a family in your next place, you should consider the fact that you will either have to pay daycare or lose one income. You shouldn't buy a home based on what your combined income is right now if that will not be what you will earn long term.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:01 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
WOW. WOW

Statement: I usually have 100-150 to spend on whatever every week BUT ITS USUALLY FOR FOOD!!!

LO freaking L

And honey. When you pay rent no one pays your mortgage because you don't have one when you rent.

Try to sell the condo first then worry about a new place.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole917 View Post
Hey everyone - so here's my situation:

I bought a condo in April for $200k, (listing price $210k) and put 3.5% down + paid closing costs... I installed new pergo floors, painted, and the place looks 100% better.

The condo is too small, and now my fiance and I want to look for a house in PA (we live in NJ) where home prices + property taxes are much lower. We would both be happier living together in a bigger place!!

We would put both of our names on the deed/title - but my question is, can both of our credits get approved for the mortgage loan amount? or just his b/c I already have this condo + mortgage in my name?

I know I will be losing several thousand dollars which sucks, but hopefully I can sell the place for $215k and get something back! the market is going down, so I would have to get another appraisal to see how much my place is worth? how does that work?

In the end we want to live together, get married, and start a family. there is no room in this condo.. its too small - we need a house to live comfortably. I will also save alot of money every month. Instead of paying $2k/mo for mortgage, taxes, HOA Fee + utilities, I'll probably be paying half of that once we live together.. and I'll have spending money - something I DO NOT HAVE whatsoever now! (now I have about $100-$150 a week to spend on whatever I want - but that usually goes to food)

any advice? should I proceed to do this? are there any other suggestions/ideas of other things to do? I'm confused and don't know how to proceed in the right direction. Im 26 years old and this was my first place ever purchased. I would rent, but it's too stressful to worry about someone paying my mortgage, etc.

can someone please help!

thanks!
How can a condo be to small for 2 people? I understand that when a couple has kids space needs increase dramatically but a young couple should be able to live in a fairly small space. My husband and I lived in an 800 sf 1BR condo for 6 years.

If you only have $150 per week left over to pay for food then you really cannot afford the condo on your own so I would say your best bet is to have your fiance move in with you and share expenses. Once you are ready to start a family you can think about moving.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 PM

thanks for the replies.. ive been talking to co-workers and the idea of renting it out seems the most logical. my fiance makes good money, so he would be able to afford a house by himself if need be... i just want to live togehter in a house the way it should be! i was skeptical about renting, but it might benefit greatly - i can still keep the $8k tax credit and get a nice return every year.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM

the condo is too small for us.. not enough storage for a vacuum, shoes, clothes, towels, etc.. i have to keep laundry baskets in plain view b/c they dont fit in the laundry room or in my closet.. it was a rushed decision b/c i needed to get out of my parents house and now im trying to get things back on track..

Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Please don't take the decision to become a landlord lightly. Assume worse case scenarios when coming to your conclusion of "get a nice return every year".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate